Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Hp 7610 says paper jam but I followed all the steps to check

Customer Question

hp 7610 says paper jam but I followed all the steps to check and there is no paper anywhere, printer head, feed mechanisms, rollers, gears.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5 years
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: hp7610
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just started yesterday and I have not had this problem before
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: near throwing myself off of cliff
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** see that you have been waiting for help for a long time. I am terribly sorry about that. I will do my best to help you.

I've had a similar problem on a different model in the past. A piece of paper had jammed and when I removed it, apparently a small corner of the paper was left behind. The trick that worked for me was feeding a heavy piece of cardstock through the document feeder. I gently "helped" it to start feeding, and it pushed the little piece of paper all the way through, clearing the jam. Even if it doesn't push yours all the way through, it may push it just far enough to allow you to grab it with tweezers. You can also try moving it with a toothpick.

If that doesn't work, please try this to fix the problem. Unplug the printer power cable. Open the covers and remove any cartridges and look for loose paper. Use tweezers to pull the paper out or the eraser end of a pencil to move the rollers and get to the paper.

If you don't find any paper, then use a damp paper towel with water or Windex and clean the rollers. Start where the paper touches the printer and look for white, gray, and black rollers. Use your fingers to move the rollers as much as you can to clean them. Open the printer and clean the other rollers you can find as well.

Then plug the printer power back in try to print. Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have done all these things already. There is no paper anywhere and the rollers are clean. When I tried to clean the paper tray rollers they got stuck in the up position now and won't come down. Im' talking about the rollers that sense the amount of paper in the tray.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All the gears are clean and so are the rollers. The feed works once paper is forced into the rollers but the printer will not grab paper to start the printing process.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that it was actually a problem with feeding the paper. Let's try this:

Step 1: Check the condition of the paper and reload it

The type and condition of paper can affect the way your printer picks paper. The edges of low-quality paper that has absorbed moisture might curl or lift the sheet so the paper does not feed into the printer.

Use these steps to check and then restack your paper.

1. Remove the stack of paper from the paper tray.

2. Use 25 sheets of new plain white paper to form a stack of paper.

3. Tap the stack of paper on a flat surface to align the edges.

NOTE:

Do not fan the paper by running your fingers through the paper stack.

4. Insert the stack of paper into the paper tray.

5. Slide in the paper width guide to the edge of the paper stack. Make sure that the guide rests gently against the paper stack and does not bind it.

6. Try printing again.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue or not.

·

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nope, it still doesn't feed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The feed rollers are stuck in the up position and won't come down.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I'm really sorry to hear that. It sounds as though it is definitely a hardware problem. Something internal is broken or jammed. With most printers the cost of repair is likely to approach or even exceed the cost of a new printer. However, since this is a wide format printer, that may not be the case. I recommend calling a local printer/computer repair to get an estimate and then weighing whether or not it would worth the cost.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unfortunately that doesn't help me out. I live in a remote area.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry. I will opt out as I am out of ideas. Perhaps another expert can offer suggestions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I get more info from other experts? Do I get charged again?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

You will not be charged again. Your question has been opened up to other experts. If anyone has ideas for further troubleshooting and/or repair, you will be notified when they begin to work on it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 months ago.

The pickup rollers don't come down when it tries to feed a page?

Try turning the printer off and on again. That should reset it it they are stuck

If it doesn't they may have been moved to a position that they only go to for maintenance and you would have to snap them back into play

Or there might be something broken. You can try to track what gear etc moves them up and down and turns the wheel

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I snap them back into play?

I don't know it was just a guess as to why they wouldn't come down. Did you snap them up at some time?

At some point you have to decide that they aren't working now and if you just pull them down to see what happens if it breaks then you are no worse off then you are now and you can just give it up and buy a new one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great!!!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing personal. But this is not the kind of professional answer I was looking for.

I gave you one before

Look at what turns the pickup rollers see if it is turning and if so why aren't the rollers coming down. Is it disconnected somewhere?

Is something snapped off ? Is it out of its track? Or is nothing moving that should move it.

And yes sometimes you have to move things by hand to see how it is supposed to work and why it isn't

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is no way to view under the carriage. it is fairly concealed.

Unfortunately you have to be able to see something to fix it

If you want to take the cover off there should be screws or snaps that let you do so

There might be a spring that forces the roller either up or down during the cycle. Those can break or come off and cause this problem

But even if it's just hanging there ready to snap back on you can't do it if you can't see it