GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software

I have an MX892 Printer which suddenly stopped working the

Customer Question

I have an MX892 Printer which suddenly stopped working the other day. When I turn it on a message states "Printer error has occurred. Unplug the power cord and contact the service center." I unplugged the power cord and tried again three times with no luck. I bought it at Best Buy. Any advice?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 23 days ago.

Good morning Greg! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Is there any type of numerical code on the display? Have you recently made any changes, like replacing ink cartridges, or updating firmware?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The only changes I've made is to change the occasional ink cartridge when needed.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for that information. B200 means there is either a problem with the print head or the logic board. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

Please try the following:

Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.
Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.
Turn the printer back on please and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Where is the print head?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I found it and moved it 4 times and turned it back on with the same message appearing.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 23 days ago.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 23 days ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'll try this later in the day. Thanks for your help
Expert:  GeekGal replied 23 days ago.

You're welcome. There are a few other things that we'll need to do to rule out problems with the printhead. If none of them work, then we'll know that the logic board needs to be replaced. The cost of that part is likely to be as much as a new printer, so if that turns out to be the case you may want to consider replacing the printer if it is not still under warranty.