Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

Brother HL-5470dw. The first problem is that the printer

Customer Question

Brother HL-5470dw. The first problem is that the printer makes terrible noises, like gears not engaging right, or slipping. Second problem is that the output is very fuzzy
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The printer is about 2 yrs old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We were getting a lot of paper jams. Still are, I think. that's when the fuzzy print started. I removed the toner/drum to see if anything was obvious. Nothing. I opened the back panel, and that's when the noises started
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.The problem you are describing is generally caused due to low toner or fuser problem. As you have faced regular paper jams before this problem, the sound may be coming from the gears of the rollers. Now, honestly speaking the only way to detect the exact fault is taking apart the printer and unfortunately, it is not recommended for any user. If you still want to do that, then you can use the service manual from the link below and then, take apart the printer. After that, you can check which gears needs to be replaced. You can get the spares from any online store, but the biggest problem is the price of the spares because the price you have to pay for the spares will be same as the price of a refurbished printer. If you sill wants to solve the problem on your own then, you can do that.

But, before that you can try the solution according to the printout quality from the link below.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/imglist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl5470dw_us_eu_as&ptn=1

If you want to take apart the printer then, you can use the service manual from the link below.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/799562/Brother-Hl-5440d.html