SorenX, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years experience troubleshooting printers.

My cm1415fnw printer will not work after a recent windows 10

Customer Question

My cm1415fnw printer will not work after a recent windows 10 update
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: the printer is a CM1415fnw it is about 5 or 6 years old. Everything was working until an update was pushed out yesterday
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Now the software errors out in the product has been detected page after 20 minutes. computer is a PC with windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have two dell laptops that now both have the same problem. the first started 2 weeks ago with an update and now this one started yesterday afternoon
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  SorenX replied 26 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

Is this printer a wired or wireless printer?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
it is wired with a USB cable direct
Expert:  SorenX replied 26 days ago.

Okay, thanks. Have you done anything at this point to troubleshoot the issue?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
i have downloaded the HP support assistant and run the software install, it errors out after 20 minutes in the detect a printer section. I have also been working with microsoft tech support and they have not been able to resolve. this all happened after they pushed out an updated to windows 10
Expert:  SorenX replied 26 days ago.

Okay, did Microsoft have you attempt to roll back the update?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
no they have not done that, they continue to load new HP drivers and software, then after trying it they get the same error
Expert:  SorenX replied 26 days ago.

Okay, are you talking to me on that computer right now?

Expert:  SorenX replied 26 days ago.

You seem to have stepped away from the computer so at this point I'll just leave some instructions for you.

My recommendation would be to perform a System Restore. What this will do is roll the machine back to the time before the update was installed. To perform a system restore, just do the following:

Hold down the Windows Key (two keys to the left of the spacebar with the Windows symbol on it) and press the R key. This should open your RUN box in the lower left corner.

In the RUN box type in RSTRUI and press OK. This should launch the system restore applet. Then just follow the on screen prompts making sure to choose a restore point that is dated BEFORE you began having the issue. That should roll the system back to that date.

Try that and let me know how it goes. And if this resolved the issue for you, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.