Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I'm using an HL-5370DW on a Mac G5 PPC with OSX 10.5.8.

Customer Question

I'm using an HL-5370DW on a Mac G5 PPC with OSX 10.5.8. TenFourFox browser crashes (quits) when I try to print in it. The status light doesn't come on and in about 10 secs the application quits. Could this be a printer driver problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Are you able to print successfully from any other browser, or any other program?

Is it just the TenfourFox browser that crashes and cant print, or are you not able to print at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can print from Safari 5.0 (really old) and also from an older version of TenFourFox. Also, I have no other printing problems. And I can print OK from any version of TenFourFox to an HP Deskjet. So it's only recent versions of TenFourFox and the Brother Laser printer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The normal routine with the Brother is that a couple of seconds after the print job is sent, the amber status light comes on, and then a few seconds later it prints. The status light doesn't come on in these instances, and about 5 - 10 seconds after the print command. So I'm wondering if it's a software clash of some sort between TenFourFox and the printer driver.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

My sincere apologies for the delay, Ive just seen your replies.

lets test and see if this is an issue with tenfour fox first.. lets try resetting the browser. Heres how to do so whether you are using an older version or a newer version.

https://tenfourfox.tenderapp.com/kb/general/how-to-reset-your-profile

Afterwords, restart your mac and then open tenfour and see if you can print to the HL printer. If you get stuck or run into any issues or even if this works, please let me know the outcome.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Way ahead of you. Followed the instructions on the TenFourFox site, and got the browser up and running again. I was able to print a page. However, when I first had this problem a month or so ago, I fixed it this way, and then a few days ago it began crashing again. So it seems like over time something is corrupting the preference file. Maybe this is asking too much to figure out this way.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, Ive just returned from dinner and running a few errands.

I agree with your concern 100%, a returning issues usually does signify an underlying issue. The steps you mentioned all seem to be solid steps. Can I ask if you h ave tried a permissions repair and disk repair using disk utility?

Lets try both, heres how to get there.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Once repair permissions is complete, we next want to try and repair disk, and let that complete.

Also, if you have an antivirus have it run a scan.. if you dont have an antivirus lets use a free one and try to run a scan with it. Most likely any plugin or extension or javascript / flash exploit would be cured when we rebuilt the profile, but its better to be thorough and safe.

Avast is free, and should be able to run on Leopard. https://www.avast.com/free-mac-security

Let me know if you encounter any issues installing it and Id let it run a scan overnight just to be safe.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
First time this occurred I did run Disk utility, repaired a few permissions, and ran the test on the disk and no repairs were needed. I also ran memtest and that checked out OK. I will look at avast and try to run it asap.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like your an old mac pro. A small piece of advice, avast does tend to use a lot of your resources ( ram, processor, etc ) while its running.

So I usually wait to run a scan with it until I do not need to use any other resource intensive programs.

Just wanted you to be aware of the machine slowdown that occurs in case you have any work to be done.