GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software

My epson workforce 630 is having communication error when I

Customer Question

my epson workforce 630 is having communication error when I try to scan - I can print no problem, but doesn't recognize my computer for scannind
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: workforce 630 and about 5 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: off and on for about 3 months
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this. I'll need to ask a few questions in order to best assist you. Have you previously been able to scan? Have you upgraded Windows recently?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have - my scanner may have been screwy once I bought this laptop with windows 10 on it last year, but I've been able to print wirelessly and just two days ago it recognized my computer and was able to scan. Today I get a communication error - make sure computer is connected and try again. The wifi light is on meaning it's connected somehow....
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Would you consider allowing me to connect remotely and work on this while you watch? It's completely optional. If you'd rather not I will do my best to walk you through it here.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No thanks - not necessary
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

We'll need to begin by uninstalling any existing Espon software. After uninstalling unplug the printer and restart the computer. When your logged back into your computer, please click on this link.

Download and install the software. This is the FULL software driver package for the Epson Workforce 630 for Windows 10. When the software begins to search for your printer, plug the printer in.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok - doing it now
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Great! It's likely that you just had the basic drivers for Windows 10, that were automatically installed. By downloading the complete driver/software package from Epson and installing it you will be able to take advantage of the full capabilities of this printer. I have this exact printer and have had it for several years. It works flawlessly with Windows 10 once the proper software is installed.

You'll see a listing for Epson Scan after the software is installed and that's what you'll need to use to control the scanner.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Just reinstalled and it will print, but will not recognize computer to scan
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for the update. How is the computer connected to the printer? Wirelessly or via usb? Is the Epson Scan utility installed on your computer? If so, when you open it, do you get an error message?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Thank you. Is Epson scan installed?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I just looked and found it, then asked it to scan via the computer and it scanned - but it was a jpeg - not a pdf
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Ok. no problem. We can change that. Please give me just a moment to provide instructions.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok - I just fixed that, so I can make it a pdf, but I still have the original problem - I can't press scan from my scanner to scan to my computer - it STILL says communication error....
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Ahhh, I apologize. I thought you couldn't scan at all. Let me regroup. When you press the scan button on your printer, what exactly do you see on the screen?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok, so my initial issue hasn't been resolved and I have to leave and won't be back to my office until next week - what now?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

We can continue next week if that is what you need to do. Simply bookmark this page so you can return to it. I will be notified when you respond and we can pick this back up. I feel that we are very close. I am sure it will only take a few moments to finish this. I just need to know what you see on the printer display screen when you press the scan button.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok, I would love to stay, but I do have to leave, so I will follow up with you next tuesday - I will bookmark this page. Fingers crossed for easy resolution next week!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Thank you! Have a great weekend!

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
you too!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 days ago.

Thanks :)