John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I can't figure out how to change the printing from the rear

Customer Question

I can't figure out how to change the printing from the rear tray to the front tray
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: It's a Canon PIXMA MG5320
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: from a PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I was trying to print some labels from the front tray, but it wouldn't switch from the back one. I tried doing the switch according to the instructions, but it didn't work. I've had this problem before.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, this is the main problem
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
7
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's 7
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please, I'm waiting for an answer
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

On your computer please go to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > View Devices & Printers and highlight the print server icon for your Canon PIXMA MG5320 printer. Then use the menu button on your mouse (right-click) to open the menu and select Printing Preferences.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Select the Paper Quality tab tell me what the Paper Source setting reads now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Plain paper
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

That is the Media setting. What is the Paper Source setting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cassette
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Please change the Paper Source setting to Printer Auto Select.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, I did it
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Select OK and close the dialog box. What application are you printing labels from?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From a Toshiba laptop
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

What is the application?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know what you mean by application. Sorry. Windows 7?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Like Microsoft Word, for example.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's Microsoft Word. I just tried printing again but it didn't change over to the cassette
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

In Word go to File > Print and select Printer Properties. This will open the same dialog box as before.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Then tell me what the Paper Size setting reads now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
8 1/2 x 11
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Is that the size of your label sheets?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
By the way, my wife uses the printer also from her Apple laptop
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

That should not make any difference, unless she is changing the printer settings.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As far as I know she doesn't do that
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

There are a lot of complaints about this problem on the internet. Please standby while review some of them...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think there may be a defect in the printer. However when my wife uses it it always prints from the front
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

That is good information. It shows that there is no defect in the printer. It may be in your print drivers. I recommend that we uninstall them completely and reinstall them. You mentioned that this has happened before. Do you remember how the problem was solved?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hold a minute
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay instruct me how to do it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I don't remember
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

First go to Control Panel > Printers and delete the print server icon(s) for your printer. Then go to Control Panel > Programs and uninstall all Canon software for your printer. Then restart your computer. You can return to this conversation by selecting the link in your notification email.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Maybe it was by closing down the computer and starting up again
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

You can try that first, if you want to.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried closing, starting and printing again but it didn't work
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay then. Let's go with the uninstall procedure.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay tell me what to do
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The only thing I find is color management
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Are you in Control Panel >Programs, and you do not see any Canon programs listed there after all the programs are populated?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, there's nothing of Canon there that I can see
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

They are alphabetical. Maybe they are under P for PIXMA or M for MG if not C for Canon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just went to Canon Inkjet Print Utility and it says "a driver supported by this software is not installed"
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There's nothing under C except what I just sent you and nothing under P or M or G
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay. That utility probably has the uninstall software function. Let's just go ahead and download and install the new drivers from the Canon website. I will send you the link.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay go ahead
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Here is the link. Make sure that your operating system is selected and download the Canon 5300 Series Mini Master setup:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-series-inkjet/mg5320

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've selected the mini master, clicked on select, clicked on the disclaimer then clicked on download but don't see that it has downloaded the drivers
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do I do now?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Go to your Download folder and look for it there. If you sort the list by date, by clicking on the column heading, it will be on top. Then you can select it to open it.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Before it gets downloaded a Run - Save - Cancel bar will appear at the bottom of your browser. You may have missed that. Scroll down to find it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, I went back and right clicked on select then clicked on save as then in the save box that came up I clicked on save. Is that enough? Will it go to its proper place
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

I am not sure what you are referring to. Where did you go back to right click on Select and Save? What window?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To the right of mini master setup bar there's a box with "select" in it. I right clicked on that box, then hit save as, and that opened up the official save box
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

On the Canon webpage the Select box does not work that way on my screen. You will recall that you originally selected (left-click) the Select box and that opened the Download button and the Disclaimer Agreement. When you accept the agreement and select the Download button, you get the Run - Save - Cancel bar at the bottom of your browser. If you select Run, it will automatically install. If you select Save, it will go to your Downloads folder where it will self-extract when you select it.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

And install.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I found my error. I finally looked at the bottom and saw the link I needed to click on--and did it now it's insta
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Yes. It is easy to miss if your browser window is not full screen.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But it it won't finish because it says "the printer driver is currently in use" what do I do now?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Close your Word application and your Control Panel windows. You may have restart your computer again and then repeat the download.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, I'll try that. Should we finish the dialogue now, for tonight?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Sure. When do you want to resume tomorrow? Are you in the Eastern time zone?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we're in the Chattanooga area. We could start about 9:30 am
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

That's a little early for me. I am in Los Angles.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gotcha. I have an errand to do in the morning. 1 pm would be good for me. Is that okay?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay let's do that about 1 pm if that's a good hour for you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I pm here
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay. That sounds good. See you then online.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, unfortunately I can't get involved right now as I have another commitment. Sorry. I'll try to get back with you later.
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay. I will be available whenever you post that you are ready to continue.