Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

Cannot connect my printer to my laptop, it is a cannon

Customer Question

cannot connect my printer to my laptop
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it is a cannon MX475
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: mac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: i am just now setting up the printer
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: and i can't do it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

How are you connecting it to your Mac ? Via WiFi or USB cable ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
wifi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do i do right now
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any USB cable came with your printer ? It is easy to setup WiFi on the printer using USB cable

or do you have an USB cable from any printer ? It looks like this --> http://driver-pro.com/static/images/article-content/usb-printer-installation-tutorial/usb-printer-cable.jpg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no i don't the printer came without the USB cable and i have to go back to the shop to buy it and it is a hassle. i was hoping to do it with the wifi
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

It is very easy to setup WiFi on the printer using USB cable. But we can also setup WiFi without USB cable, but that will take a little time and effort to get them connected.

Does your router has a WPS button on it ? It may have a icon of two curved arrows, or WPS written on it or may have a Wireless icon

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am connected to the WIFI of the dorm
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i don't know where is the router located
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

I'm writing the answer. Will post ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

You might have trouble connecting this printer to the dorm's network. Because most dorm's network architecture uses a two factor authentication (like an extra password ***** web browser) to get it connected to network. Your printer doesn't support that authentication method, so 90% of printers fail to connect to these kinds of network. However, we can try it.

Follow the steps in this article to setup Wireless on it (Follow the instructions of Standard Connection Method) --> http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/mx475_printer_wireless_connection_setup/

If you are able to connect to the dorms network, then on your Mac, go to Apple > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners. Click the + button and this will recognize the printer. So add it.

If you are unable to connect to dorm's network, then you have to get the USB cable to attempt to connect the printer to the network

Get the USB cable. You can get it from any store and they are cheap. Then Download and open this utility. Then use this utility to connect the printer to the network. It may fail if the dorm uses two factor authentication on network.

In that case, your only choice is, use the printer with USB cable. Connect the printer to your Mac with the USB cable and it will be recognized automatically. But download and latest drivers from here --> http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx475.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=OS%20X%2010.11%20(El%20Capitan)

Please let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok i did it but i am stuck when the printer is telling me ti use on AP only or multiple APs
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do i do now
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

This is because of the architecture of the dorm's network. Chances are both will fail. But try the first one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i need to select a MAC address and there are five
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

I've seen this kind of issue before and all five may give you error. You have to try one by one. The best option is, borrow or buy a USB cable and try to configure the wireless directly to the printer using this utility --> http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0200210302.html

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if i try one by one what do i do later with my computer to see if it is connected or not
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i will buy a cable
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

If it shows connected message, then you have to add it to your Mac. To do that, on your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners. Click + button to add the printer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it did connect but my mac is not seeing the printer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not on default or IP pr windows
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Did you get successfully connected message ?

FYI If the administrator of the network has any firewall activated on the network (that prevents from inter-communication of devices), then your Mac won't see this printer. This is done for your own security, so the people who connected their devices on the network won't able to access other people's files and thus to prevent hacking.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i got the connected message however my computer is not seeing the printer. can we do something about it here or i leave it to the cable
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

I know you want it to be on wireless, but the issue is the network type. The dorm network is completely different from home network. In a home network, all the devices are interconnected and inter-communication capable. But in these kind of networks, each devices are considered separate to prevent access to others. That is why your Mac is not seeing it. In fact, what you are doing is, you are making the printer open to the entire network.

I'd recommend to use cable.

BTW Some printers have wireless direct feature which works without router/modem. Let me check if your model has that feature

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Meantime, I want you to download the printer software from here and install it. While installing, choose Wireless setup and see if it can recognize the printer --> http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx475.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=OS%20X%2010.11%20(El%20Capitan)

Download MX470 series Full Driver & Software Package (OS X)

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

There is a feature called Accesspoint mode. This is not exactly same as connecting the printer to router. This will allow your Mac to connect directly to the printer's WiFi network and print via wireless without the need of router. Try the following

Press the Setup button. Select Accesspoint mode and enable it. Then on your Mac, click on the WiFi icon and select the Printer. Then add the printer from System Preferences > Printer and Scanners and add there.

The cons of this method is, you will have to switch the WiFi network to printer's network every time you want to print. You may also have to manually enable this mode on printer everytime you want to print.