John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Trying to install print driver on my Mac desktop which has

Customer Question

trying to install print driver on my Mac desktop which has OS Sierra 10.12..keeps crashing. Is this printer compatible with the Sierra os?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MFC J 9850 DW just bought it
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac Sierra 10.12
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just bought the printer and downloaded driver software. However there was not a download option for sierra so I downloaded OS X 10.10
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

MAC OS X Sierra was released about 5 days ago... so early updaters may encounter some problems, that's to be expected.

Your printer driver is crashing. Is it a driver only assured to work with a lesser version?

Evidently - it is for 10.10, not Sierra.

If you just bought the printer, and your downloaded driver crashes, try first removing it, then trying the disc that came with the printer (if there was one, and if it at least is compatible up to El Capitan (10.11) -?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried that with same result. Per printer specs it looks like it is compatible up to OS X 10.10

Which printer is it, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mfc j 9850 dw

OK. I presume you have tried the Brother USA support site for that model and found no driver for anything more modern than 10.10, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am looking now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Will try. Found a chart on brother tech support site that indicates Sierra driver for my model will be released "late sept". Might not be released yet.

True. Try the 10.11-compatible drivers. See if they work.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.