Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I have an Epson Stylus NX420 printer. For the first time in

Customer Question

I have an Epson Stylus NX420 printer. For the first time in the last 5 years, I'm having problems with the scanner. I use it with a Mac Powerbook. I'm getting the message on the Mac: No camera or scanner connected. On the printer, the message is: Communication error. Check the connection. Fyi, I just upgraded my Mac operating system to OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6. Would this have anything to do with it? Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Can you please confirm that the computer you are having issue with has OS X version 10.11.6 (El Capitan)? (Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on About this Mac to check.)

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to both questions: connected by a USB cable and the mac has OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

Thank you. Are you currently able to print from the computer fine?

- If you also have issue with printing, please let me know.

- For fixing the scanning issue, please click on the Epson website below:

https://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson15958.dmg

, then open the download file epson15958.dmg

, once installation is finished, click on Finder, then click on Application, then open folder Epson Software, then open EPSON Scan application

, then see if you can scan with the EPSON Scan application.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

- Another method: Download and install the file epson17516.dmg at the Epson website below:

https://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson17516.dmg

, once installation is is finished, then , click on Finder, then click on Application, then open the Image Capture application and see if you can scan with the Image Capture application.

- Note: To find any download file, you can click on Finder, then click on Downloads, then check there (scroll down / up as needed.)

- Please let me know if there is any error or message, or if you are stuck at any step. Also, if you'd like to, I can connect remotely to your computer and fix the scanning issue directly on your computer for you.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did all that and Epson Scan opened but it didn't work. The message is the same as before on the printer. On the Mac, the message is: Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
By the way, I am able to print.

I'm sorry. Can you please click on Finder, then click on Application, then open folder Epson Software, then open EPSON Scan Settings application, then check / test the scanner there?

Does it show the correct printer model there?

And does Local option selected there?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I did this. It showed the correct printer and local is checked. I clicked on the test and, after a long wait, two messages came up. One was the same as before: Cannot communicate with the scanner... The other message was: Scanner is not ready. Interface: Not connected. Option: unknown.

Sorry, please try the following:

1. Disconnect the printer's USB cable from the computer for now.
  2. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences.
  3. Then open Printers & Scanners.
  4. There, click on the Epson printer, then click on the - (minus) button at bottom left and confirm to delete it for now. Make sure there is not any Epson item showing there for now.
  5. Make sure printer is powered on.
  6. Re-connect printer's USB cable securely to both printer and computer.
  7. There, click on the + (plus) button at bottom left, and it should detect your Epson printer. If yes, then click on the Epson printer, and add it.
  8. Then click on the + (plus) button at bottom left again, and if it detect the Epson scanner, then select the Epson scanner, and add it.
  9. Then see if you can scan with the Epson Scan application now.
    ; And/or test with the Epson Scan Settings application again.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I went to the Printers and Scanners folder and deleted both the printer and scanner. When I reconnected the USB cable, the printer was detected but not the scanner. I tried scanning anyway and got the same error messages.

Please download and install the file epson17516.dmg at the Epson website below:

- If it still does not work, do you have Wi-Fi/wireless at home?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did that, it seemed to install ok but I couldn't find it in applications. Yes, I do have We-Fi.

Thank you. Please try:

STEP 1:

- On printer, select Setup option, then option Network settings -> Wireless LAN setup -> Setup Wizard, then select / connect to your wi-fi / wireless network name.

STEP 2:

- Once STEP 1 is successful, then open Finder -> Applications -> Epson Software -> Epson Scan settings, then select Network option, then click on Add, then it should detect the IP address number, then select it and add it

, then open EPSON Scan application to see if you can scan.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, I did all that. I tried to scan. I got the message: The scanner is assigned to ImageCapture. Do you want to use the scanner with TWAIN? I said no. The printer is continuing to say there's a communication error.

Can you please try again, then select Yes for TWAIN? Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did this but the same result. It's almost midnight here. I'm going to bed. What do you suggest? Try again tomorrow? What is Just Answer policy regarding payment in a situation like this?

Sorry, do you mean in Finder -> Applications -> Epson Software -> Epson Scan settings, with Network option, you were able to detect the scanner, and add it, but both the Epson Scan and the Image Capture application still cannot scan?

Tomorrow, please restart the computer and check.

We can continue tomorrow, or whenever you are available. We can schedule another time. We guarantee our service, so don't worry. Thank you for your patience,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I'll restart the computer tomorrow and check it and get back to you sometime later. Thank you for your efforts.

You're welcome. OK. Thank you,

Please see if scanning works after restarting the computer.

- If needed, make sure printer is powered on, then in System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners, click on the + (plus) button at bottom left to see if it detects the scanner item; if yes, then select it and add it, then check application Epson Scan and/or Image Capture.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got your last 2 messages...I haven't had time to get back to working on this. I hope to do so soon. Thank you.

You're welcome. OK, please take your time. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi. I need to wait until my communications are finished before giving a rating...I'll be back in touch about the scanner problem soon. Thanks.

Sorry, our system sends out reminders automatically everyday; you can ignore it until you are ready to continue. Thank you,