GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software

My Lexmark x4650 prionter is giving me the message

Customer Question

my Lexmark x4650 prionter is giving me the message "cartridge error, check manual".
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Lexmark is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: at least 5 years old, X4650
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, Dell, windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I turned the printer off and on. it ran through and printed the alignment page, when I tried to print a doc. I got the message.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Please remove the cartridges from the printer. Using a cotton swap dipped into alcohol, please clean the copper contacts on each cartridge and then carefully reinsert them firmly but gently until the click on to place. Close the cover. If you still have the error message unplug power from the printer. Wait a few minutes then plug it back in and it should be fine.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the questionpage. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.