JKalman
JKalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

A neighbor installed the Cannon Pixma MG7720 for me. I have

Customer Question

A neighbor installed the Cannon Pixma MG7720 for me . I have an Apple Macbook Pro. I know very little about it. Now my problem there are no instructions on how to copy pictures I put into the Cannon and everything I've tried has not worked. I need patient help. Please help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

OK. Please tell me, what do you want to do? take a picture file from your computer, and print it on the Canon printer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I want to take the pictures I put into the cannon and copy them into the file in my computer, When that did not work I tried to copy the pictures in the cannon tothe letter sized paper I have in the cannon #2 tray and it kept saying "wrong size"

In other words, you need to SCAN. ...or:

Try setting the magnification factor in the COPY settings, to 100 % rather than some other value.

Is the color picture, on 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was replying to you when my reply disappeared, sorry. With your remote help will this work for all the pictures I need to copy, black and colored? Will it cover ally copying for just for today. Will it work if I want to copy and print a picture too?

I'm not sure what you are referencing, please.

I will help you as best I can.

If your printer's inks are OK, you should be able to copy color as well as black.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess I would like you to do the secure remote. Does this help me get the pictures copied from the printer to the computer file. I am coping black and white now but I also need it to copy the colors ones to the computer, will it without further programing?

The Secure Remote would cost you more. The price would be added to your base charge.

Let's just stick to helping you this way - it might work better anyway. I'll try to make it easier.

1: is the computer connected to the printer, with a USB cable directly from printer to computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, it is wireless

OK.

On your computer, please go to

Start

then to

Control Panel

then to

System And Security

then to

System.

- What Windows version shows there? and, what System Type, the 32-bit, or the 64-bit, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my macbook pro does not have a word start--it says restart but I am not sure that you will still be on the computer is I do that. Can you tell me how to just find Start on my computer?

OK, you have an Apple computer. Go to

apple menu

and go to

About This MAC

and tell me the 10.X version shown there, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see nothing that says " Apple computer" or "about this Mac-" I have ch's the Apple symbol, Safari, File, Edit, View so I do not know where Apple Menu is. Can you please go poin by point for me

OK. Click on the multicolored 'apple' icon/symbol.

That should open a menu.

On that menu is

About This Mac

and click on that, please.

Then view the 10.X (10 something) version number, there, please. Tell me what it is. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a multi colored apple but a black one--press that and it says "about mac" "system preference" "app store"
"recent items" "force quite" 'sleep" "restart" "shut down" I have opened up finder, launch pad and mission control and did not "about mac" Where do I go? It is not sitting on my desktop.

OK - Try

black apple logo

and

About Mac

please. Any 10.X version mentioned there?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hit about mac get--two items to check on at the bottom "system report" "software update" neither one have have any 10.x version to click on.I am utterly lost about where to go.

So am I, at this point, I'm sorry to say.

What model name of Apple computer do you have, please?

Is it new, or used/old, and if old, how old, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I bought it new in Oct 2012 OS X EL Capitan Version 10.11.3 I used it with an HP printer until now. I started to have a problem with the HP so decided since I had years of pictures to work on to try the Cannon. Now I am really lost.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I bought it new in Oct. 2012 it is an OS X EL CAPITAN Version 10.11.31. I used it with an HP printer until now. I started to have problem with the HP so decided since I had years of pictures to work on to try the Cannon. Now I am lost.

OK. So there is an HP printer hooked up too, at the same time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, last night I neighbor came over and disconnected the hp and connected the Cannon to my Computer it took quite awhile to get it working together. He copied one picture on photo paper and one copied to letter sized paper. He had to leave so I tried to copy just to scan four pictures to print on reg. paper 7x10. Nothing, kept saying I had the wrong paper in the tray, so then I just tried to copy to computer, no luck there. Cannon sent no instructions or booklet. While waiting for you I tried again to just to copy the pictures to the #2 tray letter paper. Nope, no luck.

Paper 7x10 is why it said it had Wrong Paper.

Try copying letter size paper to letter size paper, and it will work, I think.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I put 7x10 but is the regular letter size I have always purchased and used and it fit perfect in tray #2 of the Cannon.

OK. The original you want to photocopy is 7 x 10 then?

But the paper in the tray is 8 1/2 x 11 Letter paper I gather.

So, you may need to change printer settings, on the printer itself, for that to work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
NO, I put 4 small pictures in the glass face of the Cannon and they are not going to be bigger then the letter sized paper, I pushed copy and black and start and it did nothing. I just tried it again and it says this :the size of the type of the paper loaded in cassetter 2 is different from the print settings. That is what I got all last night as I struggled to have it copy and then I tried to just copy it to my computer and I get nothing. That is why I am so frustrated. The neighbor that helped me copied 1 picture to the computer with no trouble. So I know it can be done but I do notknow how.

OK, I see. That will require some research as to the exact, and rather subtle, settings needed to get that to work.

One way, if you want to photocopy 4 small pictures into one letter-size sheet, is to 'back' them with a letter-size blank sheet behind them. The printer will sense the size of the original - the letter-size backing sheet - and won't be reluctant to copy all 4 as one that way.

But there is another setting, too, perhaps, that facilitates this operation. Let me know if the backing-sheet method works, please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did back the picture with paper and that did work! I will try again in a few minutes with a larger one and see if it goes OK. I still need to get the pictures so they will be on my computer. I just tried a color picture and it did print it! so right now I think that will be OK but again I need you help in getting the pictures to the file on my computer. Can You?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
are you still with me?

(I regret having to be offline for a time, unavoidably. I ask your pardon for my absence.)

I can help you get the printer to SCAN, yes, I think so.

But, I recollect, there is a problem determining your Apple computer's installed MAC OS X version.

Can you open Finder, then go to

About Finder

and see any information there, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
8:30 pm Mtn time: I went to finder and found nothing but more then a 100 programs, pictures, items (mish mash) I think I am calling it quits. I do not know what to look for with the delails you need. I need someone on the phone or in person to help. I doubt that you could find what you want in my finder. Certainly not the the little searches family has done on my computer.
I thank you for trying to help but, I think the help I need will never happen this way. ---again thank you and good-bye

In case another Expert - better with whatever Mac computer type you have - can help you, I have Opted Out.

If and when another Expert takes up the case, it will cost you nothing additional... several answers, or several Experts offering answers, does not involve additional charge.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try and work with someone else buteither they exp;ain step by step and assume I know nothing and tell me exactly what to do I am calling it quits. I am not paying for my time and frustration with an expert and still have no answer, no knowledge of what to do.
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. I have reviewed the transcripts of your session with Russell, and it seems to me that we have to be clear what we are talking about.

HERE ARE SOME DEFINITIONS:

1) Letter size paper is 8 1/2 x 11. Please do not refer to 7 x 10 inch paper as letter size.

2) The process of transferring a photo from the glass on your printer to a file on your computer is called SCAN. Please do not refer to this as COPY. COPY refers to the process of transferring a photo from the glass on your printer to a sheet of paper loaded into the cassette tray.

NOW LET'S DEAL WITH THE TASK YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH:

Apparently you have been able to scan the pictures to your computer using an 8 1/2 x 11 backing sheet. This did not require loading paper into either cassette, since it is a SCAN operation and not a COPY.

The SCAN operation will convert your photo to a file format which will most likely be placed on the desktop of your computer. If you want to move it to a folder, first you have to use FINDER to locate the folder, and then you can just drag the file from your desktop to the folder.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOUR HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS ADVISE OR IF YOUR HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. If I have solved your problem, I would appreciate a GOOD or an EXCELLENT rating. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haave just turned my computer on and saw you message. I have to leave for church and will not get bact until 4:00, I will try and do what you suggest once home and free to concerntrate on your suggestions. Thank you for contacting me. Dracia
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay. Good luck! Please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I can now copy a picture to paper but I cannot scan to my laptop. I just had a Cannon Pixma 7720 wireless connected to my laptop so I could scan all family photos. I turn it on and select "photo" (goes to Doc Type-photo--then in little rectangle bos says "JPEG 4X 6 SETTING" I leave that alone, I don't know what to do andtouch PC dracia lee--it goes to "select save location" I touch PC---goes back to select PC choose Local USB or Dracia lee--goes to Doc Type--- ROUND AND ROUND IT GOES---GET DISGUSTED AND PUSH "BLACK START------SAYS /KDOC TYPE AGAIN. HELP
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Is Dracia Lee your name and also the name of your pc? It is very difficult to understand what you are describing, because of the incomplete sentences and lack of punctuation. Therefore, I cannot help you, unless we can do it interactively. Then we can take it one step at a time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
DRACIA LEE is my name and the PC I s MACBOOK PRO When I bought it and exactly what it is is noted on the
Sept 24th info. I am sorry it is 7:50 her but I have a very painful back and I am going to have to call it quits tonight. I will try and communicate with you tomorrow. Thanks for responding. This messaging back and forth may not work with me becasue I am not computer literate. I tried to explain that when I spoke to a representative on Sat. Must quit now and work on my back.
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay. I can offer you a live phone call as a Premium Service when we resume this conversation tomorrow.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
9-26-16 1:50 pm I have not received further communication today am I to call you or will your company set it up. I have a few hours today and I will not be available Tue or Wed. During the day I have meetings in SLC and the evenings is ward cleanup after heavy damaging storms. So this Monday is about it. I still think I need to hire someone here. This type of communication drags on and on and I have not been able to understand all the instructions. Either answere here or have the company call me.
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

I have sent you an offer for Premium Service, a live telephone call. Please accept the offer as soon as you are available.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Hello Dracia,

The moderator has notified me that you were quite anxious to hear from me. I am available now or whenever you are. If you accept my Premium Service offer, I can call you and we can discuss your problem and work together on a step-by-step solution. Please let me know when you are ready.

Best regards,

Joel Kalman