John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I'm trying to update the printer but I cannot remember my

Customer Question

I'm trying to update the printer but I cannot remember my administrator's password. Help!
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Epson WF4630 about 4+ years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OS X El Capitan Ver. 10.11.6
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I got a note from epson to update Epson Firmware using the Epson updater.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: all was fine until it asked for my password
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 29 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

One of the reasons that Macs are so secure and get a lot fewer viruses than Windows computers is that you have to have the Administrator password ***** order to make any changes to the operating system, such as updating printer drivers or installing new programs. The Administator password ***** not be the same as you Apple Account password.

Luckily you can reset it if you have forgotten it. Follow the steps below to reset the password:

1. Power off your Mac.
  2. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.
  3. This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.
  4. Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar , then select “Terminal".
  5. Type: resetpassword (All one word , no spaces)
  6. Press return. On the Reset Password ***** select “hard disk” from the menu bar at the top, then select the user account from the drop down menu. Confirm the user account, change password ***** Save. Next click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.
  7. Turn it back on. After restarting, if you see any messages about the Keychain, please click Create New Keychain. If you are still see a Keychain error you’ll need to reset the Keychain access database.
  8. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;
  9. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
  10. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  11. Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
  12. Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).
  13. Quit Keychain Access.

Now you should be able to install the firmware. Please give it a try and let me know the results.