John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

Ink Cartridge Error. Epson 7800, Stylus Pro 7800 7-8 years

Customer Question

Ink Cartridge Error. Epson 7800
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Stylus Pro 7800 7-8 years old I've tried 2 brand new cartridges (genuine epson) ordered from our supplier. We've never had this issue before.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows. 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The Photo Black cartridge was depleted. We replaced, and it gave this error.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. What do you suggest?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No change.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trying.

If you are using genuine cartridges then the chances of even a single one being bad, let alone 2, are virtually zero.

This leaves only the possibility of a hardware fault, meaning a defective printhead, which would need to be replaced.
Is that something you would be comfortable doing yourself (not recommended), or would you like help finding a tech to come out, or replacement recommendations (your unit is at the age that it may be more cost effective to replace entirely)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I spoke with a technician from Epson, and we were able to resolve the issue.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Since the issue was not resolved here, do I go about getting a refund?
Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

Through the help page.