Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

It is new. When I attempt to fax, it doesn't until I try it

Customer Question

It is new. When I attempt to fax, it doesn't until I try it the second time, why is this happening?
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: MFC L2740DW It is about two months old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has always done this
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No everything works fine. It always does the same. It dials up and hesitats then it redials itself and then goes ahead with the fax.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Tim replied 1 month ago.

Hey there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today, so the problem is only with the printer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I fax
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does this pause, then re-dial, behavior happen on only one number you try to fax to?

Or does it happen with other numbers, also, when you attempt to send a fax to other numbers?

I advise trying a test-fax to HP's Fax Test service, if you think it's OK to test a non-HP fax in this way (it should be.)

Fax a one-page, plain paper, black-and-white fax page to

1-888-hpfaxme (1-***-***-****).

And observe how that works, whether it pauses and redials.

And wait 5 minutes after it is sent, roughly, for a return fax to be sent from HP, confirming that the faxing out did indeed work.

Let me know the results of this test, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. It went through as it should and we received a reply from the number you sent. We will do some questioning on he other end about the numbers we fax as there are only a few.

OK. That makes sense.

In all faxing problems, there are three main sectors of concern:

1. the faxing machine, at this end.

2. the line between sending machine and receiving machine.

3. the faxing machine, at the other end.

In this case, I suspect that what you have is a problem with the machine at the other end, with one particular number perhaps.

The test fax went through without the usual pause-and-redial hitch, so basically that proves that your fax machine is without fault in the normal course of things.

If you can 'listen in' to what is going on with the pause-and-redial, to see if there's a voice message or the like, then you might get a good clue as to what is causing the problem, and where. I suggest doing that also.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.