Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers

I am trying to scan from my image class 227dw to my macbook

Customer Question

I am trying to scan from my image class 227dw to my macbook air via a usb connection. I opened to printer/scanner, selected scanner and click on scan. the scan made noises to suggest that it was scanning, but then a message appeared on Canon screen saying "waiting for remote [something]. I have no problem printing using usb connection. what is going wrong?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 1 year old. I used to be able to scan using my wireless connection, but that stopped working. am now trying usb for the first time.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: just lost you ... am trying to scan to MacBook Air w/ OSX 10.9.5
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: let me try again and fill you in step by step -- OK?
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just want to be able to scan using usb connection!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sounds like it is trying to use old wireless configuration. First we can reset your printing system and see if it works or not.

1. Go to System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.
  2. Open Printers and Scanners or Print and Scan
  3. Hold down Control and click (or Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu (or hold down Option key and click - button at bottom left and click Reset Printing System)

After resetting,your Printer will disappear from the list. Then disconnect the printer and connect it to different USB port of your Mac. It will be added automatically. If not, then click the + button in there (in left corner) and add it back.

If that didn't work, then download and install the Scan and driver from here -->

Also go to Applications folder and open Image Capture. Try to scan with it as well.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.