John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I am trying to print a very large file on my XP810---~5 megs

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I am trying to print a very large file on my XP810---~5 megs and I keep getting can not print message. Is the file too large?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: thanks
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: everything was fine
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try going into the printing preferences, and enabling 'buffer printing' or 'print buffering', esp. if the 'print directly to printer' option is enabled.

That can help a lot.

Also, try printing a one-page Notepad document. If that print fine, then your printer and its interface have no realy problem, and the adjustment of printer settings or preferences in favor of buffering the print jobs will probably cure the problem and allow the printing of the 5 Mb document.

Let me know how it goes, please - so that if that works, I can close the case, and if it doesn't, I can suggest other means of curing the problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where do I find print preferences
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You have the question

Start

Control Panel

View Devices and Printers

right-click on your printer's icon

select Printing Preferences

or select Properties.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can not find a buffer setting

Can you find a place in the printer's settings/properties/preferences, that references

'Print directly' or anything like that?

If not, you may not have installed a proper Windows 10 printer driver.

I can direct you how to install a proper Windows 10 driver for your printer, if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just updated the driver a couple of days ago. This has not been very rewarding. I am going to sign off - must get to work.

OK.

If and when you get back to this case, I would need to ask, what program are you sending the 5 Mb document to print from?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Powerpoint

That is an MS Office application.

I suggest that you go into the MS Powerpoint Print settings, or PRinter settings too, and make sure

A. the right printer is selected, or the right printer type or the right printer model line

and

B. the document is buffered, not printed 'direct to printer'