Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions

I have an XP410 printer. I never print in color, only black

Customer Question

I have an XP410 printer. I never print in color, only black and white. When the black cartridge is empty, is it necessary to replace all 4 cartridges? If so, can I replace them with 4 black cartridges, and will the black then last 4 times as long? Where can i buy black only, without having to buy the color cartridges?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My is Jennie and I will be assisting you today.

I understand that you print with black and never color and want to know if you can use all black cartridges in your printer?

Unfortunately, eventually you will have to replace the color ink cartridges even if you don't use color print because that is what printers are designed to do these days. The black ink will not work unless the cartridges for color are installed as well. You might be able to get away with just replacing the black cartridge until the others run out and that will save you a bit of money. You may be able to even leave the old color cartridges in there without an issue, too. It is going something you will have to test out because I have a printer that I do that with, but it is a bit older.

As far as longer lasting black in cartridges, here is what you need to look for.

The XL last longer than a regular cartridge so you won't be buying as much ink.

I hope this has answered your question.

If you would kindly rate my answer with 5-stars so that I may receive credit for assisting you, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Did you have any questions or concerns?