John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

We have a Epson 3880, having problems printing gloss paper.

Customer Question

We have a Epson 3880, having problems printing gloss paper. I have run it through both cleaning cylcles and head aligment, no change at all. Earlier I had noticed a bit of a problem when changing to matte. As I continued to have problem printing with gloss, I changed ink and tried matte, works well. Thus it appears the printer will not change from matte to gloss. Is this something I can handle with guidance? If not, where is the closest repair center?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I sincerely ***** ***** help.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Epson Stylus Pro 3880. Purchased December 2013.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just begin in the last couple of days. We purchased and installed the maintenance when it arrived today as the original one was full.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it, hope you can help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for posting your question on, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Can you explain, what is exactly happening, when you print on glossy paper ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It appears it is not printing black on gloss paper, it prints the matte black on matte paper. It appears to me, the printer is nor making the change from matte black to gloss black. Doug
Expert:  crash2199 replied 1 month ago.

Hi Doug,

Do you still need help with this issue?