Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Ink cartridge holder is not moving to correct spot also it

Customer Question

ink cartridge holder is not moving to correct spot also it sounds like there's a high squeal
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: mx892
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: os: PC windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: we changed out the ink... although we were able to print out a few things before the issue occurred
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: we ran a manual head adjustment, a roller cleaning, alignment
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

This usually happens when something is blocking the printhead from moving..

So heres what we need to do.. Open the printer like you are going to change the ink tanks..

Then, with the printer open, watch the printhead. Unplug the machine from power and plug it back in..

When the printhead tries to move, is it getting st uck on a cable, or a piece of plastic, etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not that we know of. It moves smoothly to the right then left, then right, rollers or something on the right then moves left and while on the left the right side of the ink holder does a pop a willie, makes a grinding sound, stays up higher and stops in place and doesn't move all the way to the middle
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Ahhh.. When you say it pops a wheelie.. It sounds like the right side is coming off the track / rails?

Once it stops moving, can you unplug it and then use your hand and see if you can feel under the right side to see if its on track.

And if possible, try to push or snap it back into place.. If we can get it back on the rails, that alone may solve this issue.

But if it is coming off the rails, that is absolutely the issue and this is what we need to address.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Upon further investigation, no it seems to be not off track. It seems like a normal process that the cartridge holder raises up to a higher level then drops down to a lower level, but when on the left side, it doesn't drop down after the wheelie. When I restart the printer, the holder moves to the right about to the center, then back to the left, then drops down moves to the right and the cycle begins again
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

If definitely should not have one side raised and the other not...

The printhead wouldnt operate normally and be unlevel.. Also, that squealing sound you are hearing says there is a gear or motor thats trying to turn and move and is being stuck or blocked. You will need to fill around and try to see whats blocking the printhead from leveling out.