JKalman
JKalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

First, when I tried to scan to computer, message said

Customer Question

First, when I tried to scan to computer, message said "Computer Not Found", although I was able to print, and to scan using HP Utility. Having tried various things, printed documents now come out a blank sheets (once extremely faint print) although there is plenty of ink. I tried shutting down printer, router and computer for 30+ seconds. I tried resetting the Printing System. It still says the printer status is "idle". I cannot seem to resolve the problem on my own using HP troubleshooting. Thanks so much for responding! Harvey Perry(###) ###-####
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: HP Photosmart 7520 purchased 10/13/13. Under extended warranty until 3/30/18
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook Pro. OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: About 4 days. I am not sure about "right before". I may have been trying to print or scan two documents, one after the other.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When it works, it works well!
Category: Printers
Expert:  crash2199 replied 2 months ago.

Hi Harvey,

1. Load plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the input tray, if it is not already loaded.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Settings icon (looks like a wrench).

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges. The printer cleans the printhead and then prints a test page.

4. Check the test page for defects.

5. Try printing again and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The print quality diagnostic printed perfectly. However, printing a document produces only a blank sheet, as before. When I try to scan to my computer, it still says "computer not found", as before. I may be willing to securely connect you to my printer to have you fix it, but let's try once again. Thanks

Let's try installing the software/driver again on your printer..

Click here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Photosmart-7520-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5199461/model/5199462

It should automatically select your operating system

Click on DOWNLOAD next to the FULL FEATURE Software and Drivers program. Download then run the downloaded file. After it is installed, open the program and it will walk you through connecting it to your network again. Now, try printing again and scanning.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I successfully downloaded and installed the software. I clicked Add to add the printer. The computer system preferences and applications now shows I have the printer connected twice. However, both show they have "idle" status. When I try to scan, the printer stills says "computer not found", and when I print a document, it still produces a blank sheet.

Try disconnecting the printer from Wi-Fi then add it back to the Wi-Fi

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The printer now prints! But when I try to scan, it still says "no computer found".
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
System Preferences still reports the status of the printer, under both set ups, as idle.

Make sure you are scanning using the new printer that you added and not the old one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the printer, I hit scan. It asks me to Choose Scan Destination. I hit computer, and it says no computer found. So I guess it isn't finding either of them. I don't know how get the computer to decide which printer to use, although they are both actually the same printer.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there something that can be done to get the printer off the idle status?
Try scanning to a different location
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The printer says I successfully scanned to a Memory Card. And remember, I successfully scanned I document using System Preferences on my Apple. But the printer can't find the computer going the other way.
Are you trying to scan from the printer itself or from your computer using the scanner software?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am trying to scan from the printer. When it works, it is much simpler and easier.
Is the printer and computer on the same Wi-Fi network?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Which is why the printer and scanner have worked previously, and why the printer works now.
Check the driver name that is installed for the printer. The Airprint driver might be installed instead of the Printer's driver. (usually defaults to Airprint)Click the Apple menu and then click System Preferences. Click Printers & Scanners, highlight the printer name on the left side and on the right side of the screen should show the name.If the printer name shows Airprint, then that is the Apple drivers. Delete it and add the printer name back in from the list. Click the - sign to delete the driver and then click the + sign to add the driver, might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name to add it in.
Check the Scan to Computer setting:
Follow these steps to check the Scan to Computer setting.
On the main menu, click the Apple icon, and then click System Preferences.
Click Print & Scan.
Under Printers, click your printer, if you see more than one printer.
Click Open Print Queue. The print queue for your printer opens.
Click Printer Setup or Settings. A new window opens.
Click the Utility tab, and then click Open Printer Utility. The HP Utility window opens.
Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer.
At the top of the screen, click the check box next to Enable Scan to Computer, if it is not already checked. Scan to Computer is enabled.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I deleted the printer (twice) which was on AirPrint. I added it back in, and it came back in on AirPrint.
I checked Scan to Computer. It was off. When I clicked on Enable Scan to Computer, I received a Communications Error, Unable to communicate with device.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I added the printer back in, it did not give me a choice of AirPrint Driver vs. Printer Driver.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After printing off several documents, the printer is now producing blank sheets again. Arghh!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have you given up on me? I wouldn't blame you.

No, I am still here.

I would suggest that you remove the printers from your computer and start from scratch with the software again then go into the scan settings and check the box for Scan to Computer. Disconnect the Wi-Fi on the printer and connect it again then test again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did as you recommended. When I hit Enable Scan to Computer, I still get Communications Error, Unable to communicate with device. When I try to scan to the computer, I still get Computer not found. When I try to print, I still get a blank sheet or sheets.

Interesting that it has reverted back to the blank page printing again. Unfortunately, I am out of ideas on this situation so I will send the question back to the expert pool. You will be notified when another expert responds.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Greetings Harvey. I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. The reason that you have not been able to solve your problem is that the computer keeps installing the same corrupted software. YOU NEED TO DO A COMPLETE JOB OF UNISNTALLING AND REINSTALLING THE PRINT DRIVERS AND ASSOCIATED SOFTWARE. Please follow these step by step instructions, and do everything in the proper order. Do not leave anything out. Each step must be completed before the next step is initiated.

Reset Printing System - If there are no other printers installed on the mac, the printing system should be reset, in order to guaranty a clean installation. Use Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Hole the CTRL key down and user the select button on you mouse to click anywhere in the left side of the printer window. Then elect Reset Printing System on the menu.

Uninstall Printer Software - Use Finder to open the System Preferences > Applications folder and locate the subfolder for your printer. Drag the entire folder into the Trash folder.

Restart Computer System - Use the Apple key to restart your computer operating system. You can rejoin this conversation by selecting the link in your notification email.

Download Printer Software - Select the following link to download the Full Feature Printer Software and Driver package for your printer and operating system:

LINK FOR SPECIFIC PRINTER FROM OFFCIAL MANUFACTURER'S SUPPORT WEBSITE:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Photosmart-7520-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5199461/model/5199462

Install Printer Software -Use Finder to locate the downloaded printer file in the Downloads Folder. Use the select button on the mouse to select the heading on the Date column and sort the download files by date, so that the required file is at the top of the list. Select the file to open it, and follow the prompts to install the software.

Print Test Page - Use Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Highlight the print server icon for your printer and use the menu button on your mouse to open the Print Properties menu. Select the Print Test Page button in the Printer Properties dialog box.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!