Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Its a pixma pro 10. have done several cleanings and photo

Customer Question

its a pixma pro 10.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the Pixma is? And has this happened before?
Customer: have done several cleanings and photo black wont print...test pattern is also blank for thjat color . all others seem fine.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: wont print test run shows photo black as a blank
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it was working well before that...started yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no...just want to get back to printing
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try again going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is usually not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $350; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $250-400 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,