Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions

My printer stops printing with low ink notice but the

Customer Question

My printer stops printing with low ink notice but the monitor shows all are over half full. Is their a way to reset the ink levels?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer?
Customer: My printer is a X543. The Magenta is about 80%. The printer has stopped with a low ink warning. I just replaced the Yellow earn it did the same thing and the Yellow shows about half already. Is their a way to reset the ink level readings?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have a Mac with OS X 10.10.5 and my printer is an X543
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue for a while but most of the time the ink level looked toward the low level but just kept reading higher each time it came on.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has also been leaving about a 3/4 inch smug on the right side of the paper. it appears to be Yellow but just looks dirty. It's been doing that for a few months.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please try the following and let me know the response.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I followed your instructions but their was no ink powder in any contact areas. After I took them out I shut the printer off and unplugged it but nothing changed when I put it back together.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is an X543 Lexmark printer with the toner cartridges in a compartment on the side of the printer.
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** was reading through the older questions and saw that there wasn't a resolution to this one yet.

Perhaps this document will help you! Click on it below.

This will show you how to reset the toner levels manually.

Let me know if this works.

If it does, 5-star ratings are always appreciated!

Expert:  Jennifer French replied 30 days ago.

Were you still having issues with this?