Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions

I have a HP M1212 MFP, I had a paper jam. I cleared out

Customer Question

I have a HP M1212 MFP, I had a paper jam. I cleared out everything, taking out the cartridge and making sure everything was OK. When done, the printer started up again and immediately jammed again. When the printer pulls the sheet of paper from the loader, it does not get more than - 4 inches in, and the paper seems like it is being pulled in crooked. It immediately jams. I have pulled the jammed paper out, tried again, and this has happened about 10 times. I am not sure what to do. Each time I check and everything looks OK.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: LaserJet M1212nf MFP, approximately 3 or 4 years old, maybe 5.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have a Dell laptop that sits in a docking station, it is a company laptop. We run on Windows 7 I think.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I had gotten a new laptop a little over a month ago. I had to have someone download the printer so my laptop would print to this printer. This was done about 3 weeks ago, and everything checked out fine, did the test page and all. I have printed since then. Last week I got a low on toner message, so I took the cartridge out and gave it a good shake, like I usually do when it is the first toner getting low message. Once I put the cartridge back in, that is when the issue started. Like I said, I have taken it back out about 10 times but still have the issue.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for choosing Just Answer! I will be the Expert assisting you today! Give me just a moment to review your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I see that you have done wonderfully in troubleshooting this on your own. You have done just about everything that I would have told you to do.

Personally, as an IT person, I would take the printer, if I could lift it. Pull out all the loose parts that I could put back in, turn the thing upside down and shake the heck out of it. A lot of times there are objects in the machine that we can't see. Especially if it is used communally. If you are able to do that, go right ahead. It WILL NOT hurt anything if you do.

Another thing I would try myself after shaking it out, I would leave it off and unplugged for about 15 minutes. This clears out any static in the system and will reset any information in the boards.

The only other thing I can offer is to follow the instructions for clearing paper jams on the HP website. You can CLICK HERE to view the instructions and even view a video.

Reply to this answer if you have any questions.

If you have found my answer helpful in any way, please rate it with 5-stars so that I may receive credit for answering your question today. Thank you!

Were you able to resolve this?