Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I connected to the NBN a few days ago and now my printer

Customer Question

Hi there. I connected to the NBN a few days ago and now my printer won't' work'. It's a Brother MFC-J6520DW. Telstra said I need to talk to the manufacturer. Mmmm....
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's 18 months old. MFC-J6520DW Touchscreen Professional Series. Before we go on, are you in Australia? if not, does that matter? I don't want to waste your time.
JA: No. I'm the Printer Technician's Assistant. What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows 8 loaded onto a MAC.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: From the moment I connected to the internet via the NBN. Not before...ever.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

What exactly happens when you try to print?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It shoots out a piece of paper with a heap of instructions which I tried to follow. The last paragraph reads:
'If you do not know how to operate your WLAN access point/router using WPS or AOSS see the documentation provided with your WLAN access point/router or ask your network administrator. Yep, clear as mud.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Thanks

First, can you confirm you know the password ***** your wifi network please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know the password. With the utmost respect, are you in Australia? If not, might I be better off talking to a local person? The NBN has just been rolled out here and I've had it for 4 days. The printer is unhappy, likewise the iPad. But I feel ridiculous talking to someone thousands of miles away in another country when I should get a local technician to help me. No disrespect intended. Perhaps I should 'call a mate' who works for Telstra. Sorry, feeling so frustrated.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I go into settings on the printer it says....Start WPS or AOSS on your wireless access point/router then press OK. Yes, well, what I need to know and can't figure out is how to do that! There don't seem to be any buttons to push and the ether cable doesn't seem to help either.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

no, I am not in Australia, but I do not see how that changes anything?

You need to connect it to your new wifi network, to do this, press on the tools icon (wrench / screwdriver) top right

Then press on wifi

choose Setup Wizard

Then select your wireless network and then enter in the Password.

Let me know how it goes please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I tried that several times last night. At the moment it is 'doing its thing' with the timer....the words are 'Setting WLAN'. I'll let you know the outcome. Okay, here we go again....it says 'No Access Point'. It's spitting out another piece of paper telling what I already know from previous pieces of paper. So, the printer is not 'reading' the new router and no doubt has to be re-configured. By the way, the new router is 3 metres away.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, remove the power to your wifi router and printer and wait 10 minutes

Then connect the power to your wifi router and wait 5 minutes.

Then connect the power to your printer, try to connect it and tell me if it now connects please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I shall give that a go, thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

thanks, ***** ***** me know the results