John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

HP 8620 will print, but not photos. Says out of paper. will

Customer Question

HP 8620 will print, but not photos. Says out of paper. will pick -up photo paper but not print through and jams. I am using Costco photo paper. I can print useful information from printer, but no answer to this. thank you. Pat
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Where is the photo paper positioned in the printer, please?

Where does it jam, when it is fed into the printer?

Has this type of photo paper ever worked with this printer, before this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Photo paper goes in same place as where reg. printing paper goes. photo paper stops just as picked up, then stops and says jammed. but I have had it come through not printed on. yes

OK. Thanks for the response and the information.

I forgot one essential query in this sort of situation:

How old is the printer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the printer was purchased from Costco just this last Spring.

That means that, at worst, it is within warranty.

Have you printed a lot of photo paper, or has the printer seen fairly regular or heavy usage, many prints that is?

If so, here's a procedure that may perhaps help:

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.

Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The printer is not used very often. two three times a month. Only a few papers at a time, but no photo paper used tell now.

So it hasn't worked with photo paper before this, then?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. I can copy the old family photo on reg. paper but not on photo paper. perhaps I should take this up with Costco or HP? thank you.

If you would prefer to. You could try the roller cleaning also. It might help, perhaps.

Thank you for asking your question here at