Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Right after I replaced the ink in my printer, the message

Customer Question

Right after I replaced the ink in my printer, the message appeared that I needed to replace the print head. Knowing a small amount about printers, I asked a person who has worked on my computers to help. He removed the print head and then could not find a replacement. He also did not want to work with it because of a lawsuit about printheads in this particular model.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Canon Pixma MX 870
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC. Microsoft Office and Windows
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I replaced the black ink cartridge with one I bought earlier online. When I ordered it, I was under the impression that it was a Canon product. The new ink arrived and the cartridge looked just like the one I had previously.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My biggest thing is to find someone local who can replace the print head.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

This is a very common failure on these printers, and yes there was a class action suit about it, but that was years ago and is now closed.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85 just for the part, if it can be found; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.