Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

Xp310- installed new ink cartridges about 3 months ago. went

Customer Question

xp310- installed new ink cartridges about 3 months ago. went to lake home and just returned. Cannot get printer to print black. Cartridge shpows 7/8's full help
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: it is an Epson XP-310
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC win 10 - using MS Word
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: we were at our lake home for 3 months- worked fine before vacation
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: since ink is almost full prefer not to have to replace ink cartridges.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.The problem is caused due to clogged printhead or defective cartridge, please follow the steps below to clean the printhead. Let me know, if you need any further help, otherwise please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

Cleaning the Print Head Using the Product Control Panel

You can clean the print head using the control panel on your product.

1. Make sure no product lights are indicating errors.

2. Load a few sheets of plain paper in the product.

3. Press the home button if necessary.

4. Press the arrow buttons to select Setup and press the OK button.

5. Press the arrow buttons to select Maintenance and press the OK button.

Caution: Never turn off the product during a cleaning cycle or you may damage it.

6. Select Nozzle Check and press the OK button to run a nozzle check to confirm that the print head is

clean.

If you don't see any improvement after cleaning the print head up to 4 times, turn off the product and wait

at least 6 hours. Then try cleaning the print head again. If quality still does not improve, one of the ink

cartridges may be old or damaged and needs to be replaced.

You see this screen:

6. Press the arrow buttons to select Head Cleaning and press the OK button.

The

power light flashes throughout the cleaning cycle and stays on when the cleaning cycle is

finished

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tried all of your steps and replaced all ink cartridges ( About $45.00) and still missing black lines about 1/4" apart. $45 + $23 for help service - I could have purchased a new printer for several dollars more. How do I cancel service?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

You have posted your question saying that, there is no black ink and now are missing some black lines, which means there is some development, did you try to clean the printhead after replacing the cartridge ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
several time
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can't print text or pictures without having missing lines
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you finished trying to answer my question?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the update, see the problem you have described and answer given by me is correct and you have not anything wrong. Actually, the problem is with the printhead and the old cartridge and that is why you are now getting something on the paper. After replacing the cartridge and cleaning the printhead. But, the problem related to the printhead is more severe than I thought. The nozzles seem to be clogged with dry ink and dust particles and that is why you are not getting the desired result with the normal printhead cleaning process. In this case, as you have already spent so much money, I will recommend you to get a printhead cleaning kit from any store from the link and use it to flush the printhead. If you do not wish to use it then, it is completely understandable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-Expression-XP-300-Printhead-Cleaning-Kit-Everything-Included-559ABY-/141072271528?hash=item20d89008a8:g:mYUAAOxyu~lSQfao

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. I will just purchase a Canon printer and try it.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Yes, that seems to be a good idea also.