Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware

We have a brand new MX 922 sent as a replacement for a

Customer Question

We have a brand new MX 922 sent as a replacement for a defective unit. We are trying to do the first ink cartridge replacement and inserted a brand new Magenta ink tank, clicked it into place and got a steady light. We closed the printer and soon got a note "Following ink tank cannot be recognized:" with a big M and a picture of the far left tank. We have repeated to a process a number of times with identical results. Any ideas??
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: As noted above it is a Canon MX 922 and the ink tank is a brand new Canon magenta cartridge sent by Canon along with the new computer.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Usint an iMac and not sure what OS. The printer worked fine until we tried changing the cartridge.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Are you reading the first item? This happened today when we tried to do the first ink replacement. Nothing happened before other than the tank running out of ink.
JA: No. I'm the Printer Technician's Assistant. Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No - just let me communicate with someone who knows about printers.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for posting your question on, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I know, this is a very frustrating problem, but the printer received by not a brand new, as you got it as a replacement, these printers are refurbished ones and packed like a new printer. That is why most of the customers think they got a brand new printer. Now, the problem you are facing can be caused due to few reasons. One if the cartridges are defective, two if the printhead is defective (which can be possible for refurbished printers and even sometimes in brand new printers) and three due to a defective logic board. Unless you can check with another cartridge, it is very difficult to say, what is exactly defective, because if you face the same problem two different new cartridges then, it will confirm that the problem is with either the printhead or the logic board and unfortunately, in that case, you have to again replace the printer. But, before trying anything, follow the steps below to remove the printhead and clean the contacts on it with a cotton swab and rubbing or IP alcohol and check the result. If you need any further information please let me know, otherwise please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

1. Open the top cover of the printer to get to the ink cartridges
  2. Wait for the ink cartridges assembly to come to the middle/front
  3. Unplug the printer (now the cartridge assembly wont auto-return while the lever is up)
  4. Lift up the gray lever on the right side of the ink cartridge assembly
  5. Remove all ink cartridges
  6. Lift the black plastic printhead up and out (Note: You may be confused about the printhead, because.the printhead itself is a smaller piece inside of the whole assembly that slides on the rail inside the printer. Grab from inside where the cartridges were sitting and the printhead piece only will come out easily.)v