JKalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.

Shefin, Just did the reset but still get the same message HP

Customer Question

Shefin Hi!
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Just did the reset but still get the same message HP Officejet 4500 Wireless (fax, copy and printing still works perfectly - only scanning is an issue). My wife's Apple Air with OS X Yosemite (version BEFORE 10.10.5) can still scan. My Mac from the moment OS X Yosemite version 10.10.3 was installed does not scan anymore. I installed OS X El Capital 10.11.6 but that did not help
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook Pro OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It occurred on August 31. My Mac had automatically upgraded some latest version of HP soft. The trouble started from then on. The link with the HP upgrade was flagrantly obvious because my wife's Air (which does not automatically upgrade) still operates a before.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No - don't know what else to tell you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I prefer to do it myself.
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

Your problem is quite simple. I can show you how to solve it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kindly send me a description of the steps I have to take. I will then do it myself. Thanks in advance
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

I prefer to give you the detailed instructions interactively. If I give you the entire procedure in advance, what assurance do I have that you will accept my services, so that I can be compensated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Understand. I am Ok with interactive instructions.It is no a matter of cost. I just do not want to give remote access (to anyone for that matter)I must leave the house now for a commitment. Can we make an appointment? I'll be back home in 4 hours. Please propose a time and we'll do it interactively. Is that OK?
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

Sure. I can prepare the detailed instructions for offline and leave them for you. Because of the time difference, I may be asleep when you return. If they resolve the problem to your satisfaction, please take the time to rate my services. If not, or if you still have questions, you can post them and I will respond to them. We may not need to do it interactively, unless there are unforeseen problems.

Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

Reset Printing System - If there are no other printers installed on the mac, the printing system should be reset, in order to guaranty a clean installation. Use Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Hole the CTRL key down and user the select button on you mouse to click anywhere in the left side of the printer window. The select Reset Printing System on the menu.

If there are other working printers, instead of resetting the printing system, just remove the print server icons for the printer that is not working, and skip resetting the printing system, since it may not actually be necessary. If it becomes necessary, It may have to be done later, followed by a reinstallation of the printer we are working on an addition of the other printers to restore them.

Uninstall Printer Software - Use Finder to open the System Preferences > Applications folder and locate the subfolder for your printer. Drag the entire folder into the Trash folder.

Restart Computer System - Use the Apple key to restart your computer operating system. You can rejoin this conversation by selecting the link in your notification email.

Download Printer Software - Select the following link to download the Full Feature Printer Software and Driver package for your printer and operating system:

Install Printer Software. User Finder to locate the downloaded printer file in the Downloads Folder. Use the select button on the mouse to select the heading on the Date column and sort the download files by date, so that the required file is at the top of the list. Select the file to open it, and follow the prompts to install the software.

Print Test Page - Use Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Highlight the print server icon for your printer and use the menu button on your mouse to open the Print Properties menu. Select the Print Test Page button in the Printer Properties dialog box.

Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear Mr Kalman,Good morning to youThank you very much for the write up.
I did all that. I downloaded the printer software from HP etc. I did get the test page to print. But...when I tried to scan I hit the same road block (a dialogue box ''waiting for scanner). I am not enormously surprised by this because I had asked the question on the internet and somebody explained that they had done a reinstall of the software but that he/she too had still not been able to scan.
Let me stress that, when initially raising my question on JustAnswer, I indicated the the print, copy, fax functionality worked just fine. Only the SCAN function no longer did (see my write up above). Whatever the explanation: I am still at the same place - everything works ...except scanning.Any suggestions as to where we go from here?Best Regards
PS. For info : I am Brussels (ie CET zone)
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

I got your message. I must admit that I had not really noticed that the scan was the only thing not working. Let me say two things about that. First, when an OS is updated, usually the printer will not work until the software is reinstalled, the way that I described. The scanner is part of the Full Feature Printer Software package. Therefore, I would expect that reinstalling the software would remedy the problem. Second, it is common for the scanning function to lose its connection on wireless networks from time to time, and the remedy is the same, to reinstall the drivers, although the uninstall portion of the procedure can be omitted, because the software has usually not become corrupted when this happens. That explains my approach to the problem.

Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

However, in your case, the procedure did not work, and the scan function has not been restored at all. I have an HP printer, and there are three different ways to scan from the printer control panel: (1) Scan To Computer, (2) Scan To Network Folder, and (3) Scan To Email. Of the two ways to scan to your computer, the first method loses its connection the most often and is therefore the least useful, although it does offer higher resolution scans. The second method loses its connection too, but not often. It requires setting up a network folder on your computer using the HP software to establish access permissions.

Which method are you using?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Mr Kalman
Thanks for your response.
Answer: Scan to computer (it is the only method I ever use). In other words, I have a document folder on my MacBook Pro to which I direct any newly created scan.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

I have a pc, not a mac. I have worked on a mac, but I must answer questions from memory, and I am not as familiar with a mac as I am with a pc. On my system, there is no way to direct the scan to a particular folder when using scan to computer. It just lands in the root directory of my hard drive. On your system, I believe it lands on your desktop. Do you direct it to a folder after it lands on you mac?

Expert:  JKalman replied 1 month ago.

In any case, as I mentioned before, scan to computer is the least reliable method. You would have bettor luck with scan to network folder, if your printer has that option on its control panel.