John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a printer which I use to print via wifi on my phone a

Customer Question

Hi there
I have a printer which I use to print via wifi on my phone a bit (am a teacher)
The printer is printing the first page and then stops with a recieving data message which can go on all day? Could you help?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: It's a sorry for delay - a mfc-j57200w Brother
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows 10 - but I use my iPhone a lot too With the same results
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: A week now
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks desperate if you can help that will be wonderful
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Been here all day trying to fix this - what should I do? Please
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

What is the make and model of your printer? Is it an MFC-J572DW?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Brother
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

What app are you using to print from your iphone?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have an app just downloaded it from a link on the email for example and then forward to printer - I do have the scan print brother app on my phone but I don't really use it - does this make sense?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
for example from safari I click share and option for printer comes up and it asks me which printer- choose it and send to print - always worked this way without app
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like so
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

I got that you download some attached file from an email< but how do you "forward" it to the printer? I will check your images.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Via safari sharing t
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Is it AirPrint via wifi?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is :)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I checked Internet connection - called company provider and all that's good
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Are you experiencing the problem every time you print and both from your iphone and from Windows 10?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
in fact it's not really printing at all from Windows at the moment
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Have you rebooted your wireless router? This is done by disconnecting the power cable for a few seconds and then reconnecting and allowing the router to reinitialize the router tables.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have to take another look - with iPhone it prints one page and then stops
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've done that
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay good.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also I've been unplugging the printer and then plugging it on - also reset the printer and it starts working a little and then stops again :( so if I want the full document to be printed (it's urgent) I need to keep on doing that which is rediculous ofcourse
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seems to refuse to cancel print as well or be turned off on the printer - basically just gets stuck - I have to unplug completely
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

It is very common for the power switch logic to lock up. That is a minor problem that can be worked around. I use a power strip with a switch to turn my printer off and on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was stuck like this all night yesterday
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Now, when you say that you cannot cancel print, what do you mean by that. Are you canceling the print job in the print queue?

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Is your printer connected wirelessly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I c it is doing that stuck thing - I try to cancel the print so I can try resending it again on the actually printer - and it just stays stuck on cancel print like the picture above - it will stay like that all night
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the printer is connected wirelessly
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

I did not understand your previous comment. Too many errors in the statement. Please rephrase it, and also explain what you mean by "cancel".

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Did you recently upgrade your operating system to Windows 10, and did this problem start immediately after that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No not at all
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

What do you mean by this sentence: "I try to cancel the print so I can try resending it again on the actually printer."?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it simply means trying to manually put the printer off without unplugging - it just remained stuck- so I had to put it off by unplugging - does that make sense now?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has no bearing to the problem, I was trying to explain that the printer just remains stuck at some point after sending the document to it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Therefore, I have to physically unplug it to and start it again. The off button on the printer does not work
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It remains with the recieving data message - or cancelling printing message until I unplug it. I hope that makes more sense?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not downloaded Windows 10 recently it was done some time back and it did not cause this problem.
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Do you know how to open your print queue and cancel a print job from there?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From my computer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Or from the printer?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From the computer yes
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From the phone no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the actual printer I have only one way but like I said it just gets stuck
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Please open your print queue from your computer and see if there are any print jobs stuck in the queue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't belive that has any bearing - the printer remains stuck and says recieving data.. It will print one page prior to getting stuck. Is there a solution for it do u think?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Yes. I think the problem is in the print queue on your computer, with the way the print drivers are installed on your computer, and/or with the way that your printer is connected to your wireless network.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I open the computer it says that the printer is off line (when it's not) when I look at the printer it is in that stuck state (recieving data or cancelling printer)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think it would be the wireless network as that's all we use to communicate to the printer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if we look at that option that will be wonderful - the settings on the printer for the wireless would be the place to start?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

You keep saying "canceling printer", and you will not explain what you mean by that.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

We can start with the wireless settings on the printer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do u see the Red Cross on the printer - when it starts getting stuck on recieving data I press that to cancel print like so but it still remains in that state and there is no progress - so stuck - proceed to unplug that is when I start the process all over again. Hope that makes more sense
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please let's start with that
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am in the main settings what shoul I do now?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay. That makes more sense. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Np
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Do you see a Network menu?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Go to WLAN.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok done
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Please list the menus that you see there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tcip/ip
WLAN assistant
Setup wizard
Wow/Aoss
Wps w/pin code
Wlan status
MAC address
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

WLAN Assistant

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Actually WLAM status would be a better place to start.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It says I need a Cd rom - which I don't have at the moment - in that case say use set up wizard
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only have 10 mins before I have to leave ��
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

First go to WLAN Status. Then WLAN Wizard. I got that you have to leave. When will you be able to return and continue this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am back
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay, so what is the WLAN Status report?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sending u a photo now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't see if it's sent or not
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Photo did not arrive. Please just list the status.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Seems strong the connection
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Okay. Got it now.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

The SSID is awfully long. That should be the name of your wifi network. And the Comm. Mode should NOT be Infrastructure.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is the name of my wifi network (I should Change that) so how do is change the mode?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Your printer is not properly connected to your wifi network. We need to go through the WLAN Wizard.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do I
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've done that already and it has
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is connected - am doing it now again - but if it wasn't connected it wouldn't even print one page?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It prints one page and then gets stuck in recieving data ��
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Doing this interactively is not working. INFRASTRUCTURE is NOT the proper network configuration. I am surprised that it is printing even one page.

In order to reconfigure your router and your computer and your printer, I will need to establish a secure remote connection. There will be an extra charge for this premium service.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What if you don't solve the problem?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How would you be able to access all of my devices - what would you need?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Information etc?
Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Then I will refund all your charges. I would still need your cooperation. You would have to run the WLAN wizard one step at a time and only choose the options that I tell you to choose. I could login to your router from your computer and change the name of your wifi network, but then your computer would lose its internet connection, and you would have to reconnect with the new wifi network name. Hopefully we can communicate more quickly via remote chat session on your computer and avoid the long delays between AU and US.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Maybe we should not change your SSID. If you want to continue interactively, we can do that to get your printer configured correctly, but you have to follow my instructions and not do anything on your own.

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

You cannot simply say, "I've already done that", because you have not done it correctly. You should NOT be in INFRASTRUCTURE mode!

Expert:  JKalman replied 2 months ago.

Also, we are probably going to have to reinstall your drivers, and that will again require a secure remote connection, so that it does not take forever.