Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware

Message waste ink absorber almost full, canon pixma IP5000,

Customer Question

message waste ink absorber almost full
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: canon pixma IP5000
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it has been saying this for a few days, but says press printer resume button to bypass
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don`t think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for posting your question on, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.The waste ink absorber is the part which absorbs the dripping ink from the cartridges so that they do not damage the printer's internal parts. After a certain period of time, the absorbers get drenched with ink and you have to replace the pads to solve this problem, generally to do that you have to dismantle the printer . So, I will recommend you to take the printer to any nearby repair shop for the replacement of the pads, if you want to try this at home then, let me know and I will post the steps here. But, as this is a online support site, you have to do that job at your own risk. Please let me know, what you want to do ?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

As I can see that, you have not viewed my answer still now and as I have to go offline for the day. I will post the steps to do the job. Please remember as I said earlier that, as this is an online support site, you have to do that job at your own risk. Please let me know if you need any help otherwise, please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way, I am compensated for my time and effort.

It's a long procedure,please read all the steps very carefully before proceeding and make sure, you are confident enough to try these steps or not ?

To prepare the IP5000 for disassembly:

- power on the printer, open the front door, and open the top lid, centering the printhead carrier.
- unplug the printer, leaving the carrier centered.
- remove the power cord.
- remove and seal your print cartridges. Use vinyl electrical tape to seal both the bottom circular outlet, and the top vent. Bag them in an airtight baggie, preferably storing them in the upright position.
- remove and bag the printhead in an airtight baggie as well.

To disassemble the IP4000:

1. Leave the front door and top lid open
2. Remove both side panels as follows:
- the side grey trim wraps around the top rear of the printer.
Where it ends, slide it up to unclip it from the printer. If you open the top paper feed door, you can see a slot with an arrow below the grey trim. It doesn't really snap up, but slides sideways. Just get this end unclipped first.
- now, under the top lid, you'll see a two slots with an arrow, one on each side. In the slot, you'll see grey-coloured plastic. This is a tab holding the side panel to the frame. Using a screwdriver, insert it in the slot and depress the grey plastic tab while gently tilting the top of side panel away from printer.
- once you have both the rear trim piece and top tab unfastened,
all you need to do is unhook the lugs at the bottom of the silver trim of the side panel, one in the center, and one at the front. Pull up gently on the side panel to disengage these lugs. Place the side panel aside.
- repeat for the other side panel.
3. Remove the top half of the case as follows:
- there are four clips that fasten the top half of the case, two lugs at the back and two clips at the front. You must disengage the front clips first. The front clips are located on each side of the paper exit slot, below the inner door, behind the front fascia. You can't see the clips, but you will see two spots at the bottom of the front fascia where the plastic is 'scalloped' to clear the paper exit slot. Place your thumbs in these scallops, as close to the bottom as you can, wrapping your hand around the edge of the case. Gently pull the front plastic by your thumbs away from the printer, and lift up on the case. It should disengage, but do not lift it up yet. Just get it unclipped (note: the control panel is not part of the top case half, and will remain with the bottom half).
- at this point, it's time to disengage the lugs at the back of the printer. Using a screwdriver, depress the lugs behind the slots on each side of the rear door, and lift the rear of the case. Just get it disengaged.
- once all four clips have been disengaged, lift the top half of the case straight up. Note that the control panel is attached to the bottom half of the case, and will not come off with the top half of the case. Place the top half of the case aside.

4. Now, take a look at your printer from the top. There are a couple items you should be aware of, and be careful not to damage. There is a clear film disk on the left side of the printer which is used to control the platen roller. It has very fine markings on it, which are read by an optical sensor. Do not touch it. Ditto for a clear film strip that runs across the printer behind the printhead carrier, which is used to control the carrier. Don't touch this one either. To proceed. you should be able to see four (4) silver Philips screws, one roughly in each corner, that fasten the printer frame to the bottom half of the case. The front two and the right rear one are easy to locate and get at, but the left rear screw is located between the power supply and the frame, and is difficult to reach. To make it easier,
remove the power supply as follows:
- unplug the wire harness at the top of the power supply.
- place the printer on it's back side, exposing the bottom of the printer.
- on the bottom of the printer, locate the two clips holding the power supply in place.
- depress these two clips and slide out the power supply from the bottom of the printer.
- place the printer back in an upright position.

5. Now it's time to remove the printer frame from the bottom case:
- remove the four Philips screws securing the frame to the bottom
- being careful not to touch the film disk on the left of the printer, and the film strip across the printer behind the printhead carrier, use both hands to lift the printer frame from the bottom case by the metal bar across the top of the printer. Place it on a wad of newspaper, as the bottom of the printer frame may be full of ink.

This will expose the bottom of the case, where you'll find the ink absorber pads. There are many pads, as shown in this replacement ink absorber kit (Canon part QY5-0144-000) available online. Just Google the part number. Write down their appearance and position, because trust me, you won't remember their exact position when you go to put them all back in after cleaning. It's important, because their
position controls the flow of waste ink. I recommend you wear latex gloves or similar, because the ink is indelible. There are also other ink pads in the printer mechanism you might want to look into cleaning or replacing. Get a Canon service manual, and the parts catalogue for all the part numbers. You'll need the service manual to reset the ink absorber count anyways. See for example, you can
download both for $10.

To reassemble your printer, just reverse these instructions. I'd also recommend cleaning the printhead before replacing it in your printer.
There are plenty of methods available online, but the method I prefer is using isopropyl alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol which looks similar).

Good Luck!

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

Did you tried the steps or decided to take the printer to any shop ?