John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I am using aBrother HL 3040CN printer and have recently

Customer Question

I am using aBrother HL 3040CN printer and have recently renewed all colours I am now finding the Magenta powder is coming out and running a thick line of colour on all pages printed...elp
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: my printer is probably about 3 years old and is one of three that I use according to the type of work I do
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: My computer is an Apple and am using safari
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just happened after I had printed about 20 pages and then the 21st copy onwards had the problem. I took out each colour and wiped down with a dry cloth and cleaned the inside parts carefully then attempted to print additional pages only to find powder leaking out of the middle slot and a thick line in magenta on each page.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I can't think of anything.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Are you using generic or refilled cartridges?

Is it a vertical line?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
using refilled cartridges line running down from top to bottom of page. Re giving you permission to connect to my device is the amount of $55 on top of the amount already mentioned i.e. $5.....$27 on top of this. Pensioners are not that well off you know.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

The amount is in addition to the chat, not in place of it. I would not recommend a remote session anyway, it would not be productive for this case. We can talk by phone if you prefer though, and it would be a lower amount.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I pay you the $55 do I also have to pay the $5 + $27 sorry to be a pain but trying to work out what the best method would be for me.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Yes that is correct, it would be both charges, the 5/27 is the chat,

the other (remote or call) is a separate fee, and both are optional we can continue in chat if you prefer.

I did send an offer for a lower cost phone call option too

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did see the phone call charge look if theres a better chance of resolving the problem by you getting into my machine I think II will allow that.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

This is not something that can be resolved remotely. I would not even accept a remote request from you as it would be a disservice to you and not accomplish anything other than charging you more which I would not feel to be fair.

A phone call may be productive if you prefer to talk that way, or we can continue on here too, your choice.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
O.K. Thanks for you honesty I'll drop things for now ....Thank you for your talk.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome.

So to continue on here, what we need to do is some cleaning steps, though it is likely you have a bad cartridge (common with generics) that is leaking and will only be resolved by replacing it.

Pull everything out, blow out with compressed air, wipe down the cartridges to remove any dust,

then clean the corona wire by sliding the little green plastic tab back and forth 4 or 5 times, put it all back together, and run a test print.