Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

Purchase new computer with windows 10. have laserjet 4 plus

Customer Question

purchase new computer with windows 10. have laserjet 4 plus printer. cant find driver update
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LaserJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: c2037a. probably 20 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc think os
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: trying to get new computer up and running
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Sadly, there really is nothing to be done here.

Unfortunately this printer is not officially supported in windows 10.

These laserjets printers were discontinued many years ago and are no longer supported by HP in any form. HP will not be releasing a windows 10 driver.

You can attempt to use the older win7 or xp driver, but will have limited functionality at best (draft quality black prints only, no advanced options, etc). your next best option is to try to let windows auto detect the printer and select a suitable built in driver, though windows is not supporting these either.

Realistically replacement of the printer will be the only practical option here, unless you want to roll back to a prior version of windows, as there is no current or future support planned for these machines, and this is a 23 year old printer model that was designed for a maximum service life of only 5 years. Even if you could get it working for now, it is so far past its service life that components like the laser engine and fuser system will be expected to fail any day now, and ultimately require replacement anyway.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: or

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subisized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead:

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125:

while a color model is about twice that:

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,