Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have a HP Officejet 6100 after replacing the cyan and the

Customer Question

I have a HP Officejet 6100 after replacing the cyan and the black ink cartridges the printer went through the initialization process for a long time. I came back with a error message to turn off and restart the printer. After doing that and waiting for 30 seconds it came back with the same error that there is a problem with the printer or ink system and to contact HP for help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got your introductory response and I am awaiting a correction to the problem. - Rich
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello Rich,

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

I'd be happy to help you by phone if you prefer, but I declined your remote support offer a that would not be producive in this situation.