GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software

My canon pixma ip4300 is printing blank pages. I got new ink

Customer Question

my canon pixma ip4300 is printing blank pages. I got new ink cartridges and did a cleaning. The cleaning test said it wasn't clogged adn I printed out colored squares. But still printing blanks
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: no - it's very old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: mac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just happened
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'d be happy to help you with this. Let's begin by checking to see if there is an updated driver available for your printer and your Operating System. I'll need to know what version of ISX yo have on your MAC. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. Please give me just a moment to search for drivers.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry. There is no driver listed as compatible with this printer and OSX 10.7. Did you recently update your MAC computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i don't think so
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

We are in luck. I searched a different way and I was able to locate the driver.

Please uninstall the existing driver, and uninstall the printer itself, then turn the printer off. Restart your computer, download the updated driver, and turn on the printer when the installer begins searching for printers. Please let me know the results and let me know if you need clarification on any of the steps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I uninstall the existing driver and the printer?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

If you'd like, I can offer the PREMIUM SERVICE of a SECURE REMOTE CONNECTION. This will allow me to see exactly what is happening on your computer and to work on the problem while you watch. This is completely optional. If you do not choose to take this service, I will walk you through a solution step by step here

1. Click the [Print & Scan] icon in [System Preferences].

2.Select the printer you use on [Printers], then click [-].

3. Delete the printers that are registered, then close the [Print & Scan] dialog box.

4. Open Finder application of your Mac OS X.

5. Select [Go] → [Go to Folder] from the menu bar.

6. Enter the following folder locations, click [Go], then delete the files and folders.

Delete Example: You can delete files and folders by dragging them to the [Trash] icon in the Dock.

Files and folders to delete

Delete all the following files in the folders.

(xxx is a model name starting with [LBP].)

When the [Authenticate] dialog box is displayed

Enter the administrator's name and password, and then click [OK].

7. Close all open windows.

8. Restart your computer.

The printer driver is uninstalled.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I uninstalled the driver. Now I have to download that link above? What is that?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

That is the most recent version of the printer driver for your particular printer and operating system.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still blank pages
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. Please give me just a moment to research further. I would immediately suspect clogged ink nozzles but you indicated that the test pattern printed correctly, in all colors with no skipping or blank areas, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
correct - but I didnt' delete folders. is that to keep printer from goign to default?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

It is possible that the new driver won't install "cleanly" if you don't completely remove the old driver.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm having trouble following your directions for deleting folder
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I open finder - I don't see go to folder
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry. I will walk through it on my MAc and see if I have left something out. While I am doing tht please download the user manual for your printer form here.

I have attached an image of what the nozzle check page should like.

If the nozzle check is missing either the grid at the top or any of the bands of color, then the nozzles may be clogged. Please let me know if yours looks the way it should or not.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there's no checked black grid on top but the 6 colors below are solid
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago. the page that you are trying to print a black and white page? If so, that definitely explains things. It would appear that the black ink nozzle is clogged.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just trying to print black and white - so what do I do?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Canon has a bulit-in utility for cleaning the ink system. Please view their detailed illustrated instructions here:

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

This is a common problem with ink jet printers that are not used frequently. The ink that is left in the nozzles can dry up and clog the nozzles. If you have done several cleaning cycles with no improvement, I suggest that you switch off the machine, wait 24 hours, and then perform Deep Cleaning again. It may take that long for the dried ink to soften.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Please give these methods a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.