John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I lost black capability. I have plenty of ink. I cleaned

Customer Question

I lost black capability. I have plenty of ink. I cleaned device that the cartridges fit into, still no luck
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: HP photosmart 7510, bought in 2012
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It began this morning. no warning.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:

1. Clean the (black) printhead. (This is a Maintenance function - let me know if you need guidance as to where to find it, either in the printer's Menu system, or in the printer's driver/software on the computer. It should not be done by hand... printheads are delicate.)

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do I use to clean it with?

A printer function, that works automatically for you, at about a minute per cleaning once you order it.

Is your computer a Windows PC?