John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

My printer won't print. I cleaned it several times and put

Customer Question

My printer won't print. I cleaned it several times and put in new ink cartridges. The black ink cartridge was expired, so I'll return it to office depot, but the color ink is not, and it won't print in color, either.
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: Brother LC65HY cartridges. I'm not sure the exact make and model, but that's the cartridges it says to use. Where would I find the exact make and model?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have a PC. I think I'm using Chrome.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. I just opened my own office and a friend of mine gave me the printer.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Permit me to make a humble suggestion--assuming your printing needs are not monumental.

You can purchase a Canon PIXMA MG5250 (with wireless option) at Walmart for about $35. It also scans. It supposedly faxes, but faxing is obsolescent as a mainstream means of communication.

When you run out of ink, it is LITERALLY CHEAPER TO REPLACE THE PRINTER than to buy new cartridges.

I don't want to seem like I'm disparaging domestic American brands, but I have had untold difficulty with Brother copiers, Brother typewriters, etc. I just find that a Japanese product is cleaner and less problematic all around, 99% of the time.