Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I would like to know how I can print through my wireless

Customer Question

Hello, I would like to know how I can print through my wireless internet connection. The printer works well when I have the USB cord connected to the computer, but I need it to work without the USB cord.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is the MFC-8480DN
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I do not know how old it is, but I know it used to be connected to the network and someone must have done something wrong.. Yesterday I reinstalled it
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: MAC
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's been an issue for about a week No, thank you, ***** ***** the expert needs to know
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Did you recently receive a new wifi modem? Or what actually changed in your environment?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello,No the model is old. I do not know what changed. My manager just mentioned that his mac isn't connected to the printer, so I reinstalled it yesterday and it works fine with the USB cord. I do not know how to make it work via the wireless network though. He uses mac and I am a pc user, so I tried my best, ***** ***** need some help.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, your able to use it wirelessly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sorry I am using this service from my personal computer, not my manager's Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, connect it to your computer and run the installation again.

During the installation it will ask you to add it to the wireless network, say yes and complete this.

Then ensure that you can print wirelessly.

Once done, then on his computer, go to the apple symbol in the top left, then system preferences, then printers.

Click on their printer and remove it.

Then click on the + and allow the Mac to find it on the wireless network, then click on it to install it

Once done they can print wirelessly

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I will try this now and let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi again,I have downloaded and installed the drivers for the printer on my PC, but I encounter the same problem as my manager does on his MAC. I can only print with the USB cord, not via the wireless network.
The problem is that the printer cannot connect to the network.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
While downloading the drivers, I did not get the option to connect it to a wireless network, so I picked up the ethernet option and then manually added the printer's IP address, so that my PC could find it, but it didn't.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, you do not so it manually, but you will see the option to automate it.

You must be missing this, can you do it again please

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sorry I cannot accept the remote offer.
During the setup this is what I get on my screen..
(See attachment)
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

yes, that is because your trying to connect to one on the network, you are setting up a new printer and you need to choose the option please to connect a new printer to the network, not connect to an existing one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, I am sending you everything I did when I started the setup. After step 4, the PC cannot find the printer in the network.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have read that the printer's IP address should have the same first digits as the network's IP address, but it does not
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

in step 1 uncheck custom install please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I still end up with the same message at the end. I tried all possible options.The only one I could work with is the one I am attaching below. In the boxes, I added the machine's IP address, then my PC needed to restart and once back on, I still could not print via the network.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

no, it is checked, you see it in your screenshot.

Your choosing to connect to an existing printer on the network, but it is not on the network so this does not work.

Please repeat and uncheck custom install

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is what I get when I uncheck it
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, I just checked as I only took your word about the wireless when you said this, but this printer is not wireless, hence the issue

You need to connect it via a network cable to the internet modem, then do this installation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, well it is connected to a modem
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

But you have it connected to your computer via USB right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that's right. The machine is connected to the modem and it is via usb on my pc
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Disconnect the USB to your PC.

Connect the printer to a different LAN port on the modem then run the installation again please, not checking custom

Tell me if it then finds it please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi again,I did exactly as you suggested, and I still get the same result...
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

can you remove the power to the wifi router please and wait 5 minutes, then connect the power to it, and then try to add it

Let me know the results please.