Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

My Brother mfc-j485dw scanner appears to be scanning, but

Customer Question

My Brother mfc-j485dw scanner appears to be scanning, but the file never appears on the computer. I've looked under ControlCenter4 folders as well as the folder I designated. I've tried scanning via WiFi and using a USB connection to my laptop.
What do you suggest?
Thanks, Char
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

May I know the operating system you are using? Is it Windows 7?

Can I access your computer remotely and check the issue?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Using Windows 10. Can you just provide me with instructions? I prefer not to have you access my computer.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer Did you get my response? Using Windows 10. Can you just provide me with instructions? I prefer not to have you access my computer.I'm asking because this is the first time I've used this service. Are you still working on my scanner problem?
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

Can you try following the instructions in the link below?

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=nz&lang=en&prod=dcp6690cw_eu_as&faqid=faq00002578_001

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, give me a few minutes. Thanks
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

Take your time. Let me know the result.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The printer name is MFC-J485DW [30f7727f5084]
The name that comes up for the scanner is MFC-J485DW LAN
Does that seem correct?
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

That is alright. Try that and let me know the result.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't find Nuance PaperPort => PaperPort.
I think I'll just uninstall the printer and install again...unless you have other advice for me.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

You can try scanning using the 9instructions in the link below.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj485dw_us_as&ftype3=1991&faqid=faq00000715_004

And you can change scan settings by following the instructions in the link below.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj485dw_us_as&ftype3=1991&faqid=faq00002780_001

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a time limit regarding the $37 cost of your help? I'm not having luck with the instructions, although they look good, my system doesn't show those options.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

No time limit. You will not be charged anything further.

On the search bar of your computer, type in Windows Fax and Scan, and select Windows Fax and Scan from the options.

1. Click Scan at the bottom of the left pane.

2. On the toolbar, click New Scan.

3. In the New Scan dialog box, click the Profile list, and then choose Photos/Documents. The default settings for scanning a document, which you can use or change, are automatically displayed.

4. To see how your document will appear when scanned, click Preview.

5. Click Scan.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried New Scan several times. About the 3rd or 4th time, using Preview I could see the items to be scanned. But when I clicked on scan, I got an error message: A problem prevented the document from being scanned" and a referral to see Troubleshooting info that came with printer. I've already gone over and over that and nothing clears this problem.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

Can you uninstall and reinstall the printer driver?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I uninstalled and reinstalled printer, but get the same error message. If I restart my computer, will I lose this connection to you?
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

You will get my reply n your email, as a notification from justanswer.com. Please open the email to contact me back.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got the email. Shall I now reboot this machine?
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

Yes, try rebooting and scanning again.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I uninstalled the printer /scanner. Also removed ControlCenter4 for Brother printer. I've rebooted. Had to reselect printer /scanner. It shows me the image in Windows Fax & Scan, New Scan, Preview, but I still get the error message when I try to Scan. (By the way, Windows Fax & Scan tells me it can't find my scan profile and is using the default.)
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

If you let me access your computer remotely, I can help you resolve the issue easily.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HelloCustomer
I'm sorry, but I don't give other people access to my computer.
I think the problem is that the Brother printer has one ID and when I download the scanner driver, it is automatically assigned another ID, which is not seeing the printer /scanner. When using Windows Fax & Scan, I can manually select the ID for the printer and get a Preview of the document. However, when I then click Scan, it is blank.
I've uninstalled and re-installed the scanner a couple of times and it continues to work this way.
If you have other suggestions for me, I'm interested.
Thanks, Char
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

How do you connect the printer to the computer? Using USB cable?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've been using the WiFi connection, although I can use USB cable if needed.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

Please uninstall the printer and all related software. Then, reinstall the printer using USB cable/connection. Then, try scanning again.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, I'll try this tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

Take your time and let me know the result.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HelloCustomer
I didn't have time to work with the printer today. And now I'll be out of town for a few days. I should be able to work on this printer problem again on Tuesday, 9/20. I apologize for the delay.
~Char
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

That is alright. Follow the instructions when you get time and be back with the result.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will get back to you when I'm able to uninstall and reinstall on Tue, 9/20. Thanks.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

Okay. Get back to me with the result.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HelloCustomer
I received an email asking me to rate your assistance. I don't want to do that yet since the problem has not been solved. Tomorrow afternoon, about 18 hours from now, I should be able to work on this matter. I will be happy to rate your assistance, but I think it will be better after there is some success with this problem.
Thanks.
~Char
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 months ago.

No need to rate it now. Do it only after the issue gets resolved.

Thank you.

S H E F I N