Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have as Epson XP-620. I loaded a new 273XL Black ink

Customer Question

I have as Epson XP-620. I loaded a new 273XL Black ink cartridge in the the printer and it still say I need to replace the following 273,273XL. ????
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

Sometimes, it helps to go through the printers control panel and change the ink cartridges this way.

So lets do the following..

Setup > OK > Maintenance > OK > Ink Cartridge Replacement > OK . Then press the start button.

Now, remove all the ink tanks.. And then reinsert the ink tanks one at a time.. As you insert the ink tanks please take note of this image.

Make sure you removed the plastic cap from the new ink cartridges.

If you replace the cartridges by using the control panel, will it recognize the new cartridges now?

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is still telling me to replace the black ink cartridge
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

If you cleaned the internal and external contacts.. T hen this is one of two things.

A, you have a defective cartridge..

B. You have a defective printhead.

If this issue only started after you changed the ink, then you probably just have a bad cartridge and you should return it for a refund / exchange as soon as you can.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I clean the internal and external contacts?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

On this image, do you see the areas it says not to touch?

Lets gently clean those contacts with a lint free piece of cloth dipped in rubbing alcohol. The idea is we dont want to soak or saturate the contacts, but just clean any film off them.

Now, if you look at those three contacts while you have the i nk cartdige in your hand. There will be a corresponding spot inside the printer where it reads those contacts.. * imagine a plug and a plugin *

So inside the printer where it reads the cartridge, also clean the contacts inside the printer.

Once complete , turn the machine off, unplug it, then plug it back in and insert the ink cartridge.

If it still wont read the cartridge, then you have a defective ink cartridge..