Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I have a Brother MFC 7630-N multifunction printer, and I

Customer Question

Hi! I have a Brother MFC 7630-N multifunction printer, and I love it. I have had it for a while, and I had no problem connecting wirelessly from my Macbook Air laptop to it when I bought it. Then, recently, our pathetic internet service provider, Xfinity, told us our modem needed to be replaced, which we did. Now, my laptop tries to send items to the printer for printing, and I get a message saying that the "printer is busy" or one saying "waiting to connect," or one saying, "cannot connect to printer." I have made the printer the default printer on my laptop again, as I did when I first bought it. I'm not sure what else to do! Can you please help? Thank you!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is your printer connected to the new modem with an Ethernet / network cable?

Or is your printer connected to the computer with a USB printer cable?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I already wrote to you that my computer is a laptop and has been connected wirelessly to the printer. I will check now to see how the printer is connected to the modem and let you know in a moment.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my printer is connected to the modem with what looks like a typical phone cable, but may be an ethernet/network cable. I don't know what an ethernet cable looks like.

Thank you. Please try this first solution:

1. Make sure printer is powered on.
  2. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences.
  3. Then click on Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax.)
  4. There, click on the Brother printer, then click on the - (minus) button at bottom left, and delete it for now.
  5. Click on the + (plus) button at bottom left, and see if it detects your Brother printer. If yes, select it and add it.
  6. Then check printing.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That didn't work. The printer was on, and I had already gone to system preferences to be sure it was showing up there. I have now deleted it per your instructions, and when I click on the plus sign, my printer is not detected as an option. Now what?

Can you go to the menu / setting / network, etc. and reset the network setting on the printer? Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know what you are talking about. Are you talking about a spot on my computer? There is no network setting on the printer itself.

Sorry, it's the menu / setup option on the printer device. I'm checking on the steps for you. Please wait a bit. Thank you.

Is your printer model 7630N or 7360N?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
7360 N
  1. Press Menu.
  2. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to choose Network. Press OK.
  3. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to choose Network Reset. Press OK.
  4. Press 1 to choose Reset.
  5. Press 1 to choose Yes for reboot.
  6. The machine will re-start.
  7. Wait a bit, then see if the computer detects the printer in Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax.)

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just did that. Printer has re-started but still does not show up in the options spot on my laptop. Since you had me delete it, I do not have its IP address and cannot enter it when the "add printer" window comes up, either.

Sorry. The IP address has already been changed when the modem is replaced; don't worry about that.

- Can you please disconnect power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for a couple of minutes, then re-connect

, then turn off printer, then disconnect power cord from printer for a couple of minutes, then reconnect, then turn on

, wait a few minutes, then see if the computer detects the printer in Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax.)

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I do that, I will lose my internet connection with you. This will make completing the job impossible. What should we do now?

Don't worry. You will not lose me. Please keep this web page open. After re-connecting the modem/router, then wait a bit, and the internet should work again, then you can communicate with me again at this web page. We've also emailed you (from JustAnswer/Viet), so if you lose me, please check your email. Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not going to do that - I have figured it out, and the printer is working. I would like my money back. Thank you.

I'm sorry. Great. No problem. If you don't mind, how did you get it working? We did try to reset the printer network settings, but somehow it did not work that way. I was going to try another method, but I'm glad you got it working now. We are canceling this per your request. If you need anything else, please let me know any time. Thank you for your patience,