Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have a cannon printer modal number MX922 that will not

Customer Question

hi I have a cannon printer modal number MX922 that will not print. It also is flashing and reads support code 6,000.00
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault (line feed error). That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK what should I do to get
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Please follow the steps above.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NO: just tell me what to do.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I did, I sent you several detailed steps above, you need to follow through all of those items to resolve the issue.

Scroll up to see the full content of our chat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did everything you asked. Now I have a "Support Code 5100." Also, I noticed that the ink cartridge holder is not lit.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could it be that the printer has died/
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
waiting for your response
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trying, that 5100 is specific to a carriage fault,

so repeat the above steps but focusing on that encoder strip and the movement of the carriage.

If that still doesn't help, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is a 2013 model, so it is at the end of the maximum 3 year service life that Canon designed it for.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying new parts for an older printer.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: or

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead:

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125:

while a color model is about twice that:

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?