Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Have epson 1430 (Love it!) on my Laptop, put it on desktop

Customer Question

Greetings - have epson 1430 (Love it!) on my Laptop, put it on desktop too but messed up several installs. So i deleted them from my printers list and trashed the folder in the library then restarted the sys (os10.6.8). Ran install with usb cable set up - tried to print test page got error/library/epson -- same thing with the wireless install -- then tried it put it in the same network as laptop, still same error message.
Of course the printer still works great receiving from my laptop...
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. I'm sorry that you are having this problem. I will do my best to help. Can you tell what operating system you have on your computer?

In order to provide the best possible help, I will need to know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wonderful, as I've already given that intel in my initial send that really doesn't put any Vaseline in with the gravel. That also tells me why the site asks for something (maybe to make the yidiot [thats me] actually think they're important - you know like somebody is listening). Know what? I'll pass now. If thats the way your client plays I'm not going to trust you. No worries though, I've kept the documentation for everything, be happy to post it elsewhere. Cheers
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

The full error you received on your Snow Leaopard mac, did it mention "rastertoescpii failed" or something similar?

If so, this is what we need to do. Start here, by resetting the printing system.

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Click Printers & Scanners.
In some versions of OS X, this preference is named Print & Scan or Print & Fax.
Control-click anywhere in the list of devices on the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the shortcut menu that appears.

Next, we need to remove the epson entries from the system library folder

go to the Macintosh HD > Library > Printers folder and remove the "EPSON" directory in there.

Now, is your hard drive actually named go to the Macintosh HD > Library > Printers folder and remove the "EPSON" directory in there. or "Mac HD"?

If not, then rename your hard drive to "Macintosh HD" ( without the quotes )

That should do it. If however you get stuck or cannot complete these steps, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Seriously, stop already - I gave you the only error message I received in my initial statement. I'm sure you're rated as an expert in whatever the meaning of the term is as it is applied. Think I'll wait for Monday and just call Epson.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

I understand your frustration. And i agree, its hard to find good tech support help nowadays.

However, before you discount the procedure I wrote out for you, ( which is correct :)

To be fair, shouldnt you at least attempt the steps I suggested? At the end of the day I'm probably one of the most patient, and knowledgeable techs you will come across. Your likelihood of fixing this issue with me is much higher then with the tier one phone support person you will reach at epson who will be reading from a script..

With that being said, I asked you about the specific error message because I know for a fact that what you wrote " error/library/epson" is not the specific error message. And when it comes to solving problems, knowing the specific error message is important. However, since Ive worked with macs and epson printers for many years, I know most of the errors hence why I went ahead and sent you a repair routine for what I believe to be the most likely "actual" error that lines up with the paraphrased error message you posted.

Going forward, whether you save yourself some time and work with me now, or whether you work with Epson tomorrow. You are going to have to be very specific and you will find yourself answering the same question I asked you, and also. You will end up performing the same steps I suggested.

Now, I hope you are willing to work together and resolve this. Otherwise, please respond clearly and politely that you do not want to engage in the tech support session you asked for, so that I can send you the refund link.

Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Honest to God, thats the error message which showed up on the printer queue, except the 'epson' was cut off to eps. Thats all that showed and all I could see.
To be fair as your reply was predicated on the error message you stated (which didn't appear anywhere on my desktop during the issue)
"The full error you received on your Snow Leaopard mac, did it mention "rastertoescpii failed" or something similar?If so, this is what we need to do. Start here, by resetting the printing system."That your reasoning would not apply to my situation and I didn't want to try something else which was not indicated problem specific.I appreciate your candor and patience. I
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

The answer I sent was still problem specific, as you did mention the epson/library folder in your error.

Hence, after I suggested resetting the printing system, I mentioned deleting the epson folder from the system library..( to deal with the specific error you had )

We may also need to remove some of the com.epson files from your use / library / preference folder.. but I normally save that step until after we completed the steps I mentioned, as its not always needed.

You didnt ask for the refund link in your response. So if you are willing then lets start trying to work through these steps together.

Start here, by resetting the printing system.

Click Printers & Scanners.

Only once these steps are complete, do we attempt to reinstall the printer.. So lets focus on those steps first, if you get stcuk let me know where so I can help you through it.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok Dustin, (of course I failed to mention the other 3 printers on it... �� do I have to delete their folders from the library before I go back and reinstall those later on down the road?)
Anyway - I deleted the Epson folder from the library (yes Macintosh HD) however, when I tried to dump the trash can I got a CIOSupport error. So the Epson folder is in the trash but the CIO thing is still being used? Funny - that didn't show up the time I did it. What next KemoSabé?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.
I'm away at dinner currently. Unless the process is set to autostart.
If we restart the Mac and hold down the left shift key as soon as we press power to start it, and keep holding the shift key till it's time to sign in. Once signed in at booted to your desktop. Try emoting the trash. If it still won't empty, ctrl click the trash icon and force empty it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Allright, Ive just gotten back in. My apologies for the formatting of my previous reply. Our phone app is still being developed.

Heres an article that details several ways to force empty the trash if what I mentioned above doesnt work

http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/19/force-empty-trash-in-mac-os-x-when-file-is-locked-or-in-use/

Once emptied, restart the mac. Then, download the full drivers and utilities combo package from here.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=191763&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X6

Then, use it to reinstall the epson 1430.. Let me know if you get stuck at any point or cant complete any of those steps.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Dustin, I won't be able to download the link until Tues. Will let you know what happens either Tues or Wed eve. Thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Not a problem.. i will be working Tuesday so whatever happens if you need real time assistance, I'll be here.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok Dustin, THE EXACT MESSAGE on the printer queue under Status reads:
Error: /Library/Printers/EP...
Now that we've established this AND the fact my daughter has s show coming up soon and needs to start printing, AND that I've spent too much time doing this when I could have just called Epson I think I'll pass on any future help. Especially now that I have to go back and reinstall 3 other printers.