John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have cleaned ink absorbers. I cannot reset printer (Canon

Customer Question

I have cleaned ink absorbers. I cannot reset printer (Canon MP250) from error code (P07). Canon has already installed a driver update.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Where does the P07 code show up? on the printer itself?

and, before you cleaned the ink absorbers, what error showed on the printer? the same P07?

How old is the priner in question?

I think that with careful consideration and good information, this problem can be solved. Let me know the above information, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On printer. 6-7 yrs. Good luck. I have tried everything suggested I could find online and contacted Canon 3 times!

Was the P07 error showing on the printer, before you cleaned the ink absorbers ? or a different error ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I knew ink absorbers were full because I occasionally got that error message and overrode it. I shut printer off last weekend because I left. When I turned it back on I got this P07 code. I found tutorials on how to clean but will not reset.I can only get it to service mode. Canon sent a new driver update which l installed. I am fairly sure the problem is in the printer itself.

OK, I see. That problem must be quite annoying.

Please tell me how long it was, from the first occurrence of the P07 error, to the current occurrence of the P07 error and the cleaning of the ink absorbers ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Started Tuesday. Cleaned Wednesday. Have been working on it alot since!

So it has only been a few days.

Have you tried an Ink Absorber Reset, since you cleaned the ink absorbers?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought so - many times with many different methods. What do you suggest? Thank you

Did any of the ink absorber resets you tried, relieve the problem even briefly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. I can get the display to show "0" fo service mode. And it will go to "1" ever so briefly, and then back to the persistent P07!!!

Have all the Ink Absorber Resets you have tried, been by way of entering Service Mode?

If so, exit from Service Mode. That's not how to do what you are trying to do.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to first question. If not in service mode, it will flash P- 0- 7! So tell me your procedure. All others from Internet asked for "0" first!

OK.

For an Epson printer at least, there is a Reset Program issued (for free) by the manufacturer.

Let me see if there's one for your model from Canon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. But I would think one of the three Canon technicians I spoke to would have suggested that. However they probably would prefer that I buy a new one !

Yes, that's likely.

I'm still looking, please wait a few more minutes. Thanks, meanwhile...

Try this reset program... supposedly only for iPxxxx series, but has been reported to work on a Canon MP280 (?) model:

https://printertools.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/servicetool-v1074.html

and the full procedure is on a posting titled/headed 'Eureka', on this page:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/posts/73870

Let me know whether that works.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. That will probably take some time.

That's OK. I will still take up the case, depending on how it turns out and as-needed.

Resume at your convenience. This page will take up the case where you left off:

http://www.justanswer.com/printers/9wpcr-cleaned-ink-absorbers-cannot-reset-printer-canon.html

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That link wants me to purchase a new driver. Is that necessary?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have already tried to download that SetviceTool V1074. That ziddu site is defunct I think.

True. I regret having pointed you to a wrong solution.

Epson has a printer reset program... Canon evidently does not now have one.

I'm sorry to say that aside from having your printer serviced by Canon (at some cost) I do not know of a good solution for this problem.

In case another Expert has a solution, I have Opted Out, opening the case to all other Experts in this category.

Thank you for following the JustAnswer.com process so far.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. There is no Canon setvice in my state. So that route is not possible. Perhaps another tech can help or I will just have to buy another.