Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My Lexmark all in one X5650 will not download application

Customer Question

My Lexmark all in one X5650 will not download application list in order that I can scan!
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi Faye. My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. I'll need to ask a few questions in order to best help you.

What is your operating system?

If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

How is th eprinter connected to the computer? Via usb cable or wirelessly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
usb cable windows 10 64bit
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

There is not a driver for Windows 10 for the Lemark X5660 printer. However, it is likely that we can download the Windows 8 drivers and install them in compatibility mode to get them to work in 10. Per your request I have sent you an offer for Remote Assistance. If you'd like to proceed, just accept the offer and I will provide instructions for getting us connected. It is completely optional and if you'd rather not have me do this for you remotely while you watch , I will provide detailed instructions here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My printer is a X5650 not 5660...I do not want Remote assistance. My printer/scanner has worked in Windows 10 before my son fell for a Microsoft scan over the phone. We had the computer straightened out but have issues with downloading the application list.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I apologize. 5660 was a typo. I meant 5650. There isn't a Windows 10 driver specifically for the 5650, as you will see when you go to this link:

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=product&locale=en&productCode=LEXMARK_X5650&segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN#1

If you scroll down to the Download area for Drivers and Software you will see several choices in the drop down window, none of which are for Windows 10. I suggest that you download the Windows 8 64-bit driver and install it in Windows 8 compatibility mode. You should also uninstall any printer software currently on the computer and delete the printer from SETTINGS>PRINTERS, then restart the computer before trying to re-install.

You can also install in compatibility mode by right-clicking an application’s .exe file or shortcut, selecting Properties, clicking the Compatibility tab, and selecting a version of Windows the program worked properly on. If you’re not sure what the problem is, the “compatibility troubleshooter” can walk you through choosing optimal settings.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't understand any of this...I am computer challenged! where do I find application file or shortcut??
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My printer does print!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Faye, I'm sorry. I am doing my best to help you. The application file is the file that you will download when you click on the link that I provided and choose Windows 8 64 bit version. It will probably be in your downloads folder. You may want to reconsider the offer for SECURE REMOTE ASSISTANCE. I have tried to be as clear and detailed as possible. If you aren't sure of what to do, or don't feel comfortable doing it, I can do it for you while you watch.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I uninstall the printer?? I did download Windows 8 64bit!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I paid for remote access...I could purchase another printer instead!!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

To uninstall the printer software, right click on the Windows 10 start button and then left click on control panel. Left click on uninstall a program, and find all software related to your printer and uninstall each. To delete the printer click the settings icon, then Devices, then find your printer in the list and click it and choose remove device. Next restart your computer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did all that...now how do I reinstall the printer??
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Go to this link:

If you scroll down to the Download area for Drivers and Software you will see several choices in the drop down window, none of which are for Windows 10. I suggest that you download the Windows 8 64-bit driver and install it in Windows 8 compatibility mode, by right-clicking it, selecting Properties, clicking the Compatibility tab, and selecting Windows 8.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already did that...I just need to know how to install my printer.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

You need to find the file that you downloaded (probably in your downloads folder) and right click on it and choose troubleshoot compatibility, then select "Try Recommended Settings" and click next.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I now have my application list but it does not include my ViewNX2 to scan photos!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry but I have done all that I can do without a remote session. I will opt out. Perhaps another expert will be willing to try to help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I have figured it out...just printed my first picture! Obviously you need a little more patience when dealing with someone who is computer illiterate!
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help with this or have you got it working as well as you need it to

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got it working! Thanks for checking!