John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

All of a sudden, it's telling me the ink cartridges are not

Customer Question

All of a sudden, it's telling me the ink cartridges are not compatable. They have been working just fine. I've already cleaned the contacts with alcohol and turned the printer off and on. They are HP cartridges.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's 4502. all in one. I think I've had it about a year and a half - maybe 2.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I put a document in to scan and it popped up. It was working fine yesterday.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't guess
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I DO NOT want to sign up for a monthly membership! Pls do not charge me. I did not realize that was what I was doing. I thought I was paying $5 for an answer!! That's how it read
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry about the commercial offer. You don't have to accept it. And, I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

I am preparing your answer now, or at least my first inquiry (if one is needed.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
waiting...

Are the cartridges that the printer is objecting to, genuine HP OEM-original cartridges, or some sort of 'compatible' substitute, please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They are HP. They are not even new. They've been working just fine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The black I put in last week, but the color has been there maybe for a month or more

And the problem just started recently?

What is the full and exact error message, and does it have an accompanying error code?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Incompatible cartridges. The indicated cartridges are not intended for use with this printer. No #

OK. I'm researching that message for that model.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you

Is your printer an HP Envy (model line name) ?

And are the cartridges HP 61 cartridges?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ans yes

OK.

With the printer On, open the top of the printer, and if the cartridge carrier moves into accessible position, take out the cartridges (one at a time), and then re-seat them in their places each one, then on to the next one.

Be sure to unlatch each one before removing, then latch into place again before going on to the next one.

Don't touch the contacts nor the inky undersurface while doing so.

http://support.hp.com/doc-images/445/c02452344.gif

Close the lid over the cartridges after this is done, and close the printer, and see if that clears the error.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've done this , but I'll do it again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's still saying the same thing

OK.

The next thing to try according to HP is, to clean the cartridge contacts and then, if that doesn't get the printer working, to replace cartridges.

I suspect that neither will get this problem working.

But try this (not from HP's standard instructions):

Turn the printer Off.

Unplug it from the power and anything else too.

Leave it that way for at least 1 hour, to cool off and reset.

See if the error is cleared after that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've already cleaned the contacts with alcohol. I've already unplugged it from everything and let it sit - but not for an hour. Is that all you've got?

Try an hour. It may make the difference. I hope so.