Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions
95132829

I have a Canon image class MF229dw/MF227dw/MF216n. I was

Customer Question

I have a Canon image class MF229dw/MF227dw/MF216n. I was copying and had a jam which I removed. Now when I print the ink smears I have also replaced the cartridge.
Please help!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 3 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

I understand that you are having issues with your ink smearing on your page after changing your ink cartridge. I can imagine how frustrating this is. I will definitely do all that I can to assist you.

In order to resolve this issue, please follow these directions carefully.

1.) This is an obvious one, but we need to make sure that you are using fresh, unwrinkled paper. Make sure you have some in the tray before moving to the next step.

2.) We need to clean the print cartridges, even though you have a new one.

- On the product control panel, press Setup.

- Press the left arrow or the right arrow to select Tools, and then press OK.

- Press the left arrow or the right arrow to select Clean Print Cartridge, and then press OK. The product prints a test page.

- Look at the test page. If the print quality of the page is good, stop here. If the print quality is bad, proceed to complete the other levels of the cleaning in the Clean Print Cartridge selection. Proceed to the next step ONLY if the other levels of cleaning did not resolve this.

3.) Now we are going to clean the area around the cartridge nozzles. There may be some ink splash somewhere. We will be taking the cartridges out. Please don't leave them out for longer than 30 minutes, as it will dry the cartridge out and render it unusable.

- Get some clean, distilled, filtered, or bottled water. DO NOT use tap water. This could damage the inner workings.

- Get some clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material that will not stick to the cartridges. Coffee filters are EXCELLENT for this.

- Get some sheets of paper or paper towels to rest the cartridges on during cleaning.

- Remove one of the cartridges and place it on a piece of paper with the nozzle plate facing up.

- Look at the area around the nozzle plate. If you see any debris or ink buildup, lightly moisten the lint-free cleaning material with clean water.

- Use the swab to wipe clean the faces and edges around the nozzle plate. The area to be cleaned is cross-hatched in the picture below. Replace the cleaning material if it gets dirty.

- Don't touch either the nozzle place (in the center of the cross-hatched area below), or the copper-colored contacts. Touching these parts can cause clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

- Repeat the steps above for the other cartridge. Make sure to look at both cartridges, even if the streaks are only one color.

If NONE of this helps, you will probably have to get the printer serviced.

If the information I have given you has helped you reach a resolution, please kindly rate my answer with 5-stars so that I may receive credit for assisting you today!

Regards,

Jennie

1. Clean in the cross-hatched area only

2. Do NOT touch the nozzle plate

3. Do NOT touch the copper-colored contacts. (This is for the diagram I just sent you)

Were you able to resolve this? Let me know if you need further assistance!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It did not resolve and I don't want any future help. Please cancel any charges.

Ok! I will be sure to submit this to our moderators to take care of that for you!