John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I own a Canon Color ImageClass MF8580Cdw color printer. When

Customer Question

I own a Canon Color ImageClass MF8580Cdw color printer. When I am printing in color most of the page is blue. It does not have any blue on the page when I print in black and white. Is there an adjustment that can be made.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I hope I can clear up the problem you are asking about, which must be quite bothersome.

The first thing to try is, to attempt to determine whether the problem is in the ink system, or in the computer software. To do that, try printing a Nozzle Check page, to see whether it has all four primary ink system colors on it.

A Nozzle Check page can be printed from the Maintenance functions of the printer's Setup menus, or from the Maintenance tab of the printer's driver (if you have a Windows PC that you are printing from.)

Let me know if you need more instruction on how to print a Nozzle Check page, or if you get one printed, what the results are, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will need more instruction.

OK, I am getting instructions together. (Thanks for the response.)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When print an image on the computer for adjustment it comes out with a lot of blue in it. I think that this indicates it is the printer.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It also says that correction failed.

OK. I made a mistake... this machine does not have a Nozzle Check page, it is a laser printer.

Any test page that shows all four colors would do.

Have you tried a photocopy of a one-page full-color original? that would show us how the printer's print engine is doing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I print a color page the copy comes out with blue in it.

OK. Are any colors missing, though?

Purples or reds?

Yellows or oranges?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The reds are showing up in some areas as yellows. yellows, blues and blacks are there.

If yellow, blue, and black are there, then that means that magenta, the other primary color, is missing, esp. if red(-containing color) doesn't come out as red.

Check the level of the magenta cartridge, with your software.

If your software does not check toner level, then think back as to when the Magenta toner color was last replaced.

If it is low, or if it was replaced a while back, then I suggest replacing Magenta Toner with a new one. And printing several pages before coming to a conclusion as to whether it has been fixed by that measure.

Let me know, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The magenta was replaced a short while ago and appears to be full. I noticed that in addition to blue the is some extra re on one side of the page.

Was the magenta replaced recently in response to this same problem, of colors being wrong, too blue, etc.? or before the problem?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Before the problem.

So at the time the magenta was replaced recently, the colors were OK then?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they were.

Then the new magenta cartridge may be defective... or, it may be that you need to remove it and check that the securing tape was completely removed. If it was not removed, it may not be dispensing new magenta toner, and the result will be as you have seen.

Try removing it, checking for the securing tape being altogether removed, and then put it back into the machine, and run a few more color pages or copies, and see if the magenta/red colors come back.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have done what you asked. There was no tape. I shook the cartridges and there is plenty of toner. Since there is a guarantee on the machine, I think what I am doing is useless and nothing has been accomplished. Thanks.

What guarantee is on the machine, please? Do you mean it is less than a year old and within warranty? (or a greater age but within a Canon Extended Warranty?)

The cartridge might still be defective in some manner other than toner dispensing.

Esp. if some magenta/red is getting onto the page at one side.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
a Canon extended warrantee.

Either trying another Magenta cartridge, or turning the Canon printer into a repair shop under its extended warranty coverage terms, seems to me to be the choice at this point.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think so.

Do you need any further advice on this problem?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No.

You're good to go then. OK.

Do you find my advice good enough to be worth a favorable rating? If so, a rating for my work would be appreciated. Thanks.