Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a HP Photosmart 7525 printer an error keeps coming up

Customer Question

Hello I have a HP Photosmart 7525 printer an error keeps coming up General Printer Error 0x6100004c and I can't figure out what the problem is
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The carriage usually move when I open the lid but it won't move so I can pull out the cartriages
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for checking, that is the likely cause of the error - that the carriage is hung up on the absorber system.

Unplug power and see if you can pull it over manually.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
carriage will not move
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for trying.

Unfortunately that indicates then that this is a hardware issue, meaning a failure in the absorber system that is preventing the carriage drive from engaging.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so as it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 2012 model, that was built for a service life of only 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has has failed, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, advise on repair options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?